Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davies_cc

Beer and raccoons

davies-cc
15 years ago

Benjamin Franklin is known to have said "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy." I have always taken Mr. Franklin at his word on this, because I like beer, and I want to be loved and be happy. But if this is true, then I suppose that raccoons are proof that God wants sweet corn growers to be tested by frustration and failure.

The raccoons moved into my hood three years ago, and I have hardly been able to enjoy any corn since. A regular mesh fence does nothing - I think they actually enjoy climbing it, kind of like playground equipment. Then last year when the corn was ripening I put up a nice electric fence wire all around, and on the third night, I heard their little raccoon screeches outside my bedroom window. "Heh heh heh, that'll teach 'em" I thought, as I drifted off pleasantly to sleep.

Two nights later, my sweet corn was picked, partially shucked, and almost completely eaten. (They don't like the ones that aren't fully ripe yet, so they leave them laying on the ground uneaten.) How many raccoons does it take to eat 29 cobs of corn in one night? Sigh. Doesn't matter; for my purposes, one raccoon is too many.

Tried what I thought was a better electric fence wire setup this year, but the first crop disappeared last week and I can't figure out how they're avoiding the hot wire. Little rubber raccoon gloves maybe. I have a second crop coming in soon, so I'll heat up the wire again and try one last time; otherwise my sweet corn growing days are over, I guess. Well, there's still beer, as long as they don't figure out how to get into my garage refrigerator...

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Davies,

Do you just have one strand of wire? If so, try putting up three---one too low for them to get under, one in the middle, and one too high for them to get over. My brother in Illinois doesn't have coons, but he has rabbits and deer, so he has one wire down low at "rabbit level" and one up high at "deer nose level." It has always seemed to work for him.

Good luck,
    Skybird

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

You could try capturing them. My brother has been setting out traps with peanut butter in them, and has relocated three of them so far. His wife is an animal lover and won't allow him to harm them.

I'm not growing any corn, not enough space, but I would probably have the same results as you, since my next door neighbor leaves catfood out on her front porch for any strays, and apparently raccoons, in the neighborhood!!! Arghh!!!

Those raccoons are pretty smart. You might need a lock on that refrigerator : )

Bonnie

• davies-cc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bonnie and Skybird. My late crop is coming in now so it's time to heat the wire up again. No holes under my regular mesh fence, so I figure they've got to be climbing over somewhere, and my electric wire is about a foot high. And it hurts!

Sigh. If they get in again, I guess I may try trapping next year. I live close to the Royal Gorge; maybe I could "release" them off the bridge. (Just kidding PETA!)

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Here, the best results are with two strands of wire - one about 4-5 inches off the ground, and one about a foot.

I had them in my peach trees earlier this week, those little rascals broke several main branches - so I chuckled pleasantly, got out the big lopers, and pruned the tree back 3 years, all the while whistling a tune from Snow White.

Then, picked the rest of the plums and peaches, and have the greenhouse full of under ripe peaches and plums.

• digit
    15 years ago

The neighbor was showing me the coon damage to his corn. Serves him right for growing a variety that can compete with our puny Fleet.

There are quite a few acres of sweet corn not far from our larger veggie garden. The raccoons can have all the corn on the cob they want. There's no need for them to go thru our slim pickin's. To encourage them not to bother, we are out there harvesting the ears as soon as they are ready. Even if we can't use them right away or all that's available - in they come. I use the same approach to the tomatoes because of the quail, works well enuf.

29 ears in a single night suggests that there might be some heavy pressure on your corn patch, Davies. Lock that garage fridge and pray that they will not be getting in your malting barley next or all hope may be lost!! Here's hoping you can keep 'em out or get ahead of 'em.

Steve's digits

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I just finished reading a hilarious book called "The $64 Tomato" - all about adventures in gardening, but my favorite was "Superchuck". This woodchuck had figured out that there was an interval in the electrified fence. He'd sit quietly outside the fence, wait for the electric pulse and then jump over the wire without getting zapped :-)

I'd recommend this book to any gardener. I'm no help since I just pop the coons in the butt with bb's to make them leave and I don't grow corn.