Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

borage

colokid
13 years ago

I have a couple of borage plants growing with my lettuce in my GH. Kind of pretty blue star flowers. Some one said it would help to attract bees to pollinate things. Now, what do I do with it? How do I eat it? Looks kind of furrey but I guess it is safe to eat.

KennyP

Comments (6)

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I ate some of mine last year. The leaves feel furry on your tongue too, but I think when I cut them into thin enough slices, I didn't notice. They have a cucumber-like flavor.

This is one of my blooms last year:

From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• gjcore
    13 years ago

They definitely attract bees. Mine are just starting to bloom and I've noticed a good number of bumble bees buzzing around them. I've eaten the flowers before and they do have an interesting flavor. I've had the leaves also. The texture is a bit unusual but edible.

I've read where there are compounds in borage that can help stabilize female hormones. Not sure what that means. I have also read that some compounds in borage can be toxic.

Additionally the whole plant is supposed to be really good to add to the compost pile.

This is my first year growing it.

• xaroline
    13 years ago

Borage gives a cucumber flavor to salads.
    Float the flowers in drinks.
    It reseeds happily here.

• gjcore
    13 years ago

The bees are really liking the borage

I like seeing bees in the garden. :-)

It seem I have alot of wasps this year also.

• jnfr
    13 years ago

That's wonderful!

• jlackey
    13 years ago

Echoing what has already been said - yes, bees love borage. It tastes EXACTLY like cucumber. And it does reseed itself.

Borage flowers in a cucumber infused vodka martini are perfection.

I found its best to pick the small more tender leaves and dice very fine for salads.

The larger, older, tougher, furry leaves can get caught in your throat if not thoroughly chewed.