Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
borage

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 14:08

I have a couple of borage plants growing with my lettuce in my GH. Kind of pretty blue star flowers. Some one said it would help to attract bees to pollinate things. Now, what do I do with it? How do I eat it? Looks kind of furrey but I guess it is safe to eat.
KennyP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: borage

I ate some of mine last year. The leaves feel furry on your tongue too, but I think when I cut them into thin enough slices, I didn't notice. They have a cucumber-like flavor.

This is one of my blooms last year:

From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 21:02

They definitely attract bees. Mine are just starting to bloom and I've noticed a good number of bumble bees buzzing around them. I've eaten the flowers before and they do have an interesting flavor. I've had the leaves also. The texture is a bit unusual but edible.

I've read where there are compounds in borage that can help stabilize female hormones. Not sure what that means. I have also read that some compounds in borage can be toxic.

Additionally the whole plant is supposed to be really good to add to the compost pile.

This is my first year growing it.

o

• Posted by xaroline zone 3 Calgary Canad (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 21:17

Borage gives a cucumber flavor to salads.
Float the flowers in drinks.
It reseeds happily here.

o
RE: borage and bees

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 21:59

The bees are really liking the borage

Photobucket

I like seeing bees in the garden. :-)

It seem I have alot of wasps this year also.

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 21:22

That's wonderful!

o

Echoing what has already been said - yes, bees love borage. It tastes EXACTLY like cucumber. And it does reseed itself.

Borage flowers in a cucumber infused vodka martini are perfection.

I found its best to pick the small more tender leaves and dice very fine for salads.

The larger, older, tougher, furry leaves can get caught in your throat if not thoroughly chewed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here