Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

pest problems with my roses

shadygarden_CO
15 years ago

Is anyone else in the Denver area having problems with rose leafhoppers, rose aphids, powdery mildew -- you name it? I have been having awful pest problems with my beautiful roses and am just wondering if anyone else has had some. I have 18 rose bushes, 8 of which are minis and the others shrub roses. They were blooming so beautifully in June and then -- wham. I'm afraid I might lose them. Also pests are affecting a Blue Muffin Viburnum bush.

Since I really don't want to add to the toxic pesticides already in our water, etc., I elected to spray them with the Cornell formula -- Sunspray Ultrafine horticultural (pesticidal) oil, baking soda, and then a fish emulsion/seaweed addition. I sprayed them for the first time about ten days ago, and then again last night, but I'm not sure it's doing any good. The formula is recommended by CSU extension on their web site.

Oh, and after I spent two hours spraying them last night, the sprinkler system went on about 2 or 3 in the morning, which I forgot about. So I don't know if it did any good or got all washed off before it had a chance. I called Sunspray and left a message, also asking them when it would be safe to spray again if it got washed off, but don't know when or if they'll return my call.

So I guess I just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with similar problems this summer. BTW, I live in Aurora.

Marlene

Comments (2)