Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pest problems with my roses

Posted by shadygarden_co z5 Denver (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 14:12

Is anyone else in the Denver area having problems with rose leafhoppers, rose aphids, powdery mildew -- you name it? I have been having awful pest problems with my beautiful roses and am just wondering if anyone else has had some. I have 18 rose bushes, 8 of which are minis and the others shrub roses. They were blooming so beautifully in June and then -- wham. I'm afraid I might lose them. Also pests are affecting a Blue Muffin Viburnum bush.

Since I really don't want to add to the toxic pesticides already in our water, etc., I elected to spray them with the Cornell formula -- Sunspray Ultrafine horticultural (pesticidal) oil, baking soda, and then a fish emulsion/seaweed addition. I sprayed them for the first time about ten days ago, and then again last night, but I'm not sure it's doing any good. The formula is recommended by CSU extension on their web site.

Oh, and after I spent two hours spraying them last night, the sprinkler system went on about 2 or 3 in the morning, which I forgot about. So I don't know if it did any good or got all washed off before it had a chance. I called Sunspray and left a message, also asking them when it would be safe to spray again if it got washed off, but don't know when or if they'll return my call.

So I guess I just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with similar problems this summer. BTW, I live in Aurora.

Marlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pest problems with my roses

I had a burst of rose aphids a few weeks back on the new growth. I mushed them with my fingers, and the trouble seems to have passed (prob. due to lacewings finding them, rather than due to my taking out my aggression).

One rose has a problem with spider mites; I've blasted it with dilute diswashing soap a couple of times, which seems to have them under control.

Early on I had plenty of rose curculio/weevil on some plants; I've deadheaded all the roses and tossed out the hips to try and keep them from coming back.

So I guess I've had a fair number of bugs this year, but nothing out of control. No significant rust, black spot, etc. Knock on wood!

Ian

o
RE: pest problems with my roses

I've got 40 rose bushes. I have the little black bugs that nip the petals. Nothing more than that. All is well. Oh...and I haven't used ANY pesticides. I do have garter snakes,deer mice, moles,voles, chipmunks and birds by the millions....maybe they are eating all the bugs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here