Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tobaira

Fall Vegetables

tobaira
13 years ago

So I've read about planting vegetables for a fall harvest but I'm not sure when is the best time. I was thinking about maybe snap peas, broccoli, lettuce...? Does anybody know what grows good in the fall and when they should be planted. I'm kind of lazy so I'm thinking about just direct sowing vs starting inside. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (7)

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

So much depends on your particular climate - here, I'll be planting peas, favas, and spinach in about two weeks, or early August.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Yup. Depends. But you can count back from your frost date and the time to harvest and figger your temperatures and go from there. I'll be around the same time as David, right after I get back in town early August. Peas can take cooler temps than some other crops, but spinach and cold-tolerant lettuces can go to at least Halloween or even Thanksgiving with some cover. Broccoli is tricky as doesn't like heat and some have long harvest periods.

Dan

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

I'm going to plant a little more corn, carrots and beans in the next week or so. I have room since I never got around to planting watermelons. I'll plant more lettuce and snow peas in early August as well. What have we got to lose but a few seeds? OK, time, effort, water...
    Fall is so nice here that it's good to have excuses to be outside!
    Barb

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you say youÂre gonna still plant carrots, TreeBarb! Most of my carrots, beets and parsnips didnÂt germinate this spring, so just last week I put in more of all of those. DidnÂt know if I was nuts or not, but, as you say, all I had to lose was some seed! At the very least I figure IÂll get some baby carrots out of itÂif they germinate!

And I just cleaned up my spring pea vines last week, in anticipation of planting moreÂand I was thinking too, probably sometime the beginning of August. With the heat weÂre having, I decided the old ones probably wouldnÂt do much more, and they were MUCH easier to pull off the trellises when they were still greenÂand I donÂt need to worry about keeping that area watered right now either now that theyÂre gone.

I didnÂt get any useable spinach at all this springÂwhen I was gone for two weeks I donÂt think it got watered at allÂso IÂm definitely planning to try that again when the weather coolsÂmaybe later in August. DonÂt know for sure when! Just gonna sort of play it by earÂor more like play it by feel! Hoping to start some spinach for over wintering this year too.

Everything else I have is doing well, the beans and stuff, so thatÂs about it for me, but I do agree that beans should do well planted now.

You asked about direct seeding, Tobaira. All the veggies I plant are direct sown except for the tomatoes and egg plants. I donÂt grow any of the cole crops, and I guess theyÂd need to be started in pots to do well (not sure about that), but I agree with Dan that I donÂt think theyÂd get anywhere if you tried them now. Probably better off using your space on other things.

Skybird

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I've moved to propping stuff on cattle panel and re-mesh, after years of using the quirky architecture of tree branches. The BH likes it better and the paint color is oh-so-fash.

Birds can't perch on re-mesh and that is a key difference & more bugs around, but every other aspect is so much easier. I use a couple pieces that are 24in high and perfect for bush peas and beans. I'll take a piece and use it for fall peas and the length keeps my planting in control so there isn't too much.

Anyway, I agree that fall is a good time. You can go a long way into fall with just a little row cover, and the counting back and using harvest time isn't that hard.

Dan

• gjcore
    13 years ago

I wish I had more space to get more in for fall time. I do have some space in the front of the house in the new bed although I wasn't really planning on putting vegetables there but I might mix a few things in.

Recently I've planted lettuce, radish, Italian basil, lime basil, chives, carrots, tarragon, endive, bush beans and beets. Somewhere I'd like to work in some spinach maybe where the early planting of beets is still going.

While not vegetables I've also planted the following Johnny Jump Up, hairy vetch, catnip, blue columbine and arrowleaf balsam root.

• gjcore
    13 years ago

pffft! Almost everything I planted outside that has germinated so far has been eaten by slugs. I hate slugs. The carrots seem okay but that's about it. The radishes look like they have miniature flea beetles.

I did plant about 30 plants indoors in containers and they seem to be doing alright. Moved them outside today for the first time.