Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris24

What is this?

blueiris24
9 years ago

Could someone please tell me what this is? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Potentilla indica aka Indian strawberry or mock strawberry. It is NOT related to true strawberries, it just resembles them.

Rodney

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this something that grows wild or something I planted once upon a time? It's growing in my garden and I don't remember seeing it there before - is it a weed?

• Desirai
    9 years ago

it's just a wild plant..

What is weed to one, is flower to another.. some people like these plants.
    I think they're cute personally... they grow in the yard here in Alabama

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I've got no idea how it got in your yard but it's there. If you like it, keep it. It's a weed to me and as you can tell from your photo, it spreads. So if you don't want it then yank it now.

Rodney

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Hi BlueIris,

When I was at Paulino's we sold it as Duchesnea indica. Don't know if it's still sold commercially or not, but it is possible that you bought one somewhere/sometime! On the positive side, it's a fast spreading groundcover, especially if it's kept watered, it gets yellow flowers in spring, and the red "berries" stay on for ornamental value pretty well because they're dry and flavorless and are mostly left alone by wildlife/birds. On the negative side, it can "tend toward" being invasive, tho out here in the Dry Country I think that would be less of a problem than it may be in the Wet Lands of the eastern third of the country! (Some things I found online indicate that it's on the Noxious Weed List in some states, but I sure couldn't find it listed on the National USDA list!)

It could have gotten into your yard by seeds too, if you think you never bought one! If it's in an Outback when it can happily spread without interfering with other plants and you want the area "covered" with something, I'd be inclined to say, let it grow! If it's going to be getting into other stuff and making a nuisance of itself, I'd say, lose it before it can go any further!

The common name, Indian strawberry, if you're interested, has nothing to do with American Indians! The species name, indica, says that it comes from India, and, thus, the common name. Another common name is false strawberry, and if you try one of the pretty red berries you'll know why it's FALSE! If you want to get rid of it, do it before the seeds ripen on the berries!

Skybird

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Skybird. When Rodney posted what it was, I looked it up but there is a lot of conflicting information online. Do you have any idea if the berries are poisonous to dogs? I am still on the fence about whether to rip it out.

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

yep, we have had these in every house we've had--it was limited to two corners of the yard when we lived in Broomfield, and several times hubby would mow, and then it would spread even more in that corner (scattering the seeds because we use a mulching mower). They're pretty, they're certainly more drought-resistant than grass, and they can be tough to get rid of. I have made peace with the ones now under the bush at our new house--I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they take over that corner of the yard, but since it's one that the grass gets a little dry, I won't complain. These little guys are certainly preferable to see than the mallow or (heaven, help me) bindweed.

And yep, they're flavorless, dry and not even the birds or bugs like them!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company