Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liriope in zone 5 windy western exposure?

Posted by susanka (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 15:28

Hi -- Our landscaper just planted 5 liriope muscari in our back yard in a very windy and exposed location. I love the way it looks now, but is it going to last? Google doesn't say so. We're in the Greenhorn Valley, elevation about 5500 feet, looking southwest.

Thanks much. I just got home from work and he's got them in already; would like to leave them if they have a decent chance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liriope in zone 5 windy western exposure?

I'm not sure about your zone but I'm pretty sure that it only goes to zone six. Maybe there will be some more experienced responses.
good luck!
J

o

Hi Susanka,

Ive never grown it myself, so I dont have any personal experience with it, but when I was selling perennials wed buy some in every now and then to sell, and the main thing I remember about the stuff is that we had trouble keeping it even looking good enough in the pots to sell. It was always my understanding that it just doesnt like our dry air out here, and Im thinking its not too wild about our soils either. If you have a choice I think Id tell them to take it back out and put something else in, or else at least get it in writing that theyll come back to replace it within the next year if its not doing well.

And I agree with Jennifer that its only considered hardy to z6, but since there are z6 things we all manage to successfully grow, I dont think that would be the most limiting factor.

If you decide to keep itor need to keep itI hope it works out for you.

Skybird

o

Thanks, both. They said they'd replace them, although these are already replacements for other stuff that died. Wish me luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here