Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quercusluver

Fall collecting trip

pasadena
14 years ago

We're planning a collecting trip this fall to the high plains of Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Please does anyone have any tips or links they can share with us?

Our target species is the ecotype of the Bur Oak (Q. macrocarpa) from the area--when would be the time to collect acorns? We also are looking for additional species for the 'plains' portion of our landscaping.

Comments (5)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Do you mean your target species are found in the bur oak ecotype? What sort of additional species for your 'plains' landscaping? Are you doing this on public land where collection may be prohibited? Which location is most similar to your property, so the provenance is ~preserved (altho Q. Macrocarpa are

to WA and MT)? You'll want to contact the Ag Extension office in SD to ask them when the acorns are ready there and in what areas you can collect, and if you're lucky, some seeds are left from whatever forbs and grasses you are targeting.

HTH

Dan

• pasadena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the ideas and recommendation.

A little additional thought behind our madness--our home is located in what would be bitterbrush/bluebunch wheatgrass (a developer tore out the last of the bitterbrush two years ago from across the road). However because we add an additional 20 inches (60cm) of water during the summer (mostly out of fire danger concerns) all rules about native plants are out. Consequently, we've broken our yard down into collections. Otherwise we're just battling a contingent of European meadow grasses. One such grouping is oaks species, another is continental grassland.

Part of the fun in assembling these collections is visiting the habitats of origin and collecting material where legal. We often end up buying seed from legitimate sources when we can't otherwise get it. For example, we considered simply purchasing bur oak seedlings originating from the western edge of its range, but that misses a real life exposure to the plant community.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Ah. I've got friends in Wenatchee area and I know your ecosystem, about 4-500ft higher than their property, likely drier than your place. Next time you go over to Seattle, go Hwy 2 and stop at Derby Canyon Natives Nursery in Leavenworth - Peshastin; he's got natives there for your ecosystem. As for the timing of the acorns - always a crapshoot and you have to keep in contact with someone watching. Have fun botanizing, fellow UCD alum...

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi Pasadena,

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but Rocky Mountain Rare Plants is a company that collects seed all over the western states. I was thinking possibly you might want to contact them for recommendations, but they're officially closed right now while they're out collecting for '08/'09 sales, and I don't know if they have anybody answering email while they're gone. If you click on About Us you can go to the contact page if you want to give it a try.

If you don't want to or can't contact them right now, you might at least be interested in checking out their catalog which still shows the things they had available this spring.

Have a fun trip,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Mountain Rare Plants

• pasadena
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Skybird--we had forgotten about them!