Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Weed/Tree/Plant Popping Up?

Posted by coachjc Colorado (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:04

I have an invasion of these of late...

I had just cut one down near my fenceline, and one in a garden bed....
and within 7-14 days they started popping up all over. (with a proximity of around 20-30 feet from the ones that were cut down.)

(and I have 2 other pictures if you need more of them...one of the yard & frequency of them popping up...and 1 picture of one pulled out showing the root.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Weed/Tree/Plant Popping Up?

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 21:23

Does it have a milky sap when you break off a leaf, like dandelions?

Welcome to RMG, Coach,
Skybird

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 2:42

Skybird, if you're hinting at milkweed, that was my first thought when I saw the picture as well.

o

It definitely has milky sap when it breaks on the stem...not sure about the leaves.
(it's like white blood...except sticky...I remember getting into lots of that as a kid...but can't remember which plant(s) it came from...milkweed I guess?)
:)

If it is milkweed...any ideas on how I can better control it?

o

I missed that you had come back with a reply, Coach! It sounds like you have some species of Asclepias! One of the common names is butterfly weed, and people pay money for the stuff you're trying to get rid of! Like dandelions, the seeds "float" in the air, and my guess is that some neighbor pretty close has one/some they're cultivating to attract butterflies! The most common species is A. incarnata--but I really have no way to know if that's the species that's showing up in your yard or not. Some info at the link below if you're interested in more!

In terms of getting rid of it, I recommend Weed-B-Gon. You can use that in the grass--it kills only broad leaf plants, and you can use it where there is no grass too. From my experience it works better than Roundup, and it's what I use anywhere I need an herbicide these days--works quite well at getting rid of cottonwood and aspen suckers in the grass! As far as I know all, or at least most, milkweeds have taproots, so the sooner you get rid of them the easier it will be. If you decide to try to pull them, you'll need to get all of the root out or they'll come back from anything you leave behind!

If you have a place where you want to grow some to attract butterflies (it's also a host plant for the caterpillars), you can just deadhead the flowers before any seeds form to help keep them from "filling up your yard!" Can't help with "the neighbor" if I'm right that that's where the seeds are coming from!

Skybird

P.S. The "plant" you were getting into as a kid was most likely dandelions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias incarnata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here