Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Tomato Spotted Wilt? Do we even have that in CO?

Posted by kristin5bco5300ft (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 16:35

I've posted this to the tomato forum but thought you all might be more familiar with CO tomato diseases. This is my first year with tomatoes and I have 1 Early Girl in a large container that recently (last few days) developed some light brown spots, mostly circular (not raised), on the fruit. You can't see them too well in the image but they are not holes (as in, I assume that this is not a pest in the fruit). Interestingly, the marks are (so far) confined to the south side of each affected fruit.

Most of the leaves look healthy enough (to me) but I have taken a picture of one with white and brown spots on the top surface. The other tomatoes (1 Early Girl and 1 Sweet 100) nearby look fine.

Weather here in Boulder, CO has been hot and sunny (90+ for weeks).

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated! The closest thing I have found is Tomato Spotted Wilt but I am not at all sure that's what I have.

--Kristin

Photobucket

Light brown marks/rings

Spots on leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Tomato Spotted Wilt? Do we even have that in CO?

Someone once told me that if you suspect disease, first think bugs!

Insects are often the vectors of disease so they don't just share a bite of your garden produce. The damage may continue after the critter has gone on to other things.

I'm not in Colorado but the conversation around here often turns to flea beetles and the damage they do to our gardens. This is something of an unknown or, at least, of little concern in many parts of the country.

Take a look at the damage to this tomato and imagine that the scars aren't healing quite as nicely. Then look at this foliage and realize that the beetles don't always punch a hole completely thru the leaf. I think "craters" are the result about 90% of the time. You may have a better idea of the cause if you turn the leaf over and look at the underside.

I don't know but it could be that the plants and fruit are suffering from having been chewed on some time ago. So this is just my 2 cents.

digitS'

o
remove this fruit

Oh, and I'd remove this fruit and hope the plant can produce healthier tomatoes from here on out.

Here's wishing you the best.

d'S'

o

Every year I have leaves that look like that. It is usually either minor hail damage or psyllids. A little garden dust takes care of the psyllids. I wouldn't worry much.

o

Thanks so much for your thoughts! I wasn't worried much about a little damage to the leaves (I have a few things that have been a bit nibbled but assumed that was to be expected since I hadn't really taken any steps toward pest control), but when I saw the marks on the fruit I was worried. As long as nobody seems to think this is anything serious I'll do as digitS' suggested and remove the damaged fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here