Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga2013_gw

Black currants in Colorado

Olga2013
10 years ago

Does anyone know what kinds of black currants will produce good crop in Colorado?Black currants and red currants grow well here, as well as gooseberries. I am looking for varieties that will not only give lush bushes but will give lots of berries. Thanks

Comments (6)

• flower_garden
    10 years ago

I have one black currant called Ribes odoratum Crandall. So far it is doing very well and this year (year 3 I think) it looks like it will have a good crop. It is covered in bright yellow flowers in spring, and the bush itself is nice looking. Our neighborhood park has what I think is the same variety, and the past couple of years my kids and I have enjoyed picking several bags of them for our smoothies.

I also have a Red Lake currant bush, planted at the same time as the Crandall, which is much larger. However it has yet to produce any fruit.

Trish

• Olga2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trish, thank you. I have consort black currant. But the berries are not large and more sour then the ones I ate as a child. Thank you. I will check Crandall out. I do have three RedLake red currants. However, only one out of three produces berries /they take turns. It seems that each bush produces once every three years/. I do have red currants on one bush this year.I would like to find a kind of black currant that fruits well in Colorado Springs, CO. Thank you very much again. Olga

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

Have grown black currants in Nevada and Montana. But starts that were given to me so couldn't tell you variety. Yellow blossoms and they produce very well. Even last year when all my fruit trees froze I still had black currants and Red Lake which are at least half the size of the black ones. We have taken suckers and now have at least six that are producing and are suckering more. Given a lot of water they can get to a good size.
    My sister in Durango West has black currants. I started picking last night and will probably have a couple of weeks to go.

• Olga Chvykova
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would contact somebody from Colorado, as I am new here, What kind of berries you recomment? It is zone 5, but unexpected climate change happens, then we have too hot and dry summer. how currant and other berry bushes grows here?

• Laura (Z5a Fort Collins, Colorado)
    3 years ago

Я тоже их люблю! ;)

Yes, more watering is the way to go.

Currants grow great here -- even if you don't want them to! I have a volunteer currant that sprang up in one of my bulb beds. I think it's yellow currant, but I've whacked it down several times so I don't know for sure. I might let it flower next spring, seeing how determined it is to stay alive...