Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the Eff are these?

Posted by Bob_In_Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 16:57

So... I was out under one of my austrees and I saw something I have never seen before. On some of the branches, mainly new growth, there are all these tiny little black bugs. Literally hundreds of them.

I sprayed them off (as many as I could anyways from some of the branches with a hose on spray setting, I would have use the kill setting if I had one). I've also noticed lots of ants and flies around.

They seem to be mainly on the branches, not the leaves.

I also took a picture but I don't know how to put the pic on here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the Eff are these?

Perhaps, aphids.

[img src="jpg url here"/]

replace:
[ with <
] with >

And, insert a jpg url between the quotation marks.

Steve

not Steve

o

Those trees are bug magnets. Might be black aphids.

Dan

o

Are Black Aphids any worse than regular green ones?

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 12:44

They are both horrible in my experience, though the green ones are more common in my yard. Most years they don't show up in large enough numbers to be a real problem, but when they have a population boom it can devastate whatever plant they're on. I use Safer soap and water and can usually get rid of them without killing off all the ladybugs.

o

I've got a sweet cherry tree that gets covered with those things, every year. I need to figure out a way to spray it early enough to knock them back, and then let the natural predators build up a population.

They also will infest willow trees. And then come the wasps, by the hundreds, to feed on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here