Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_in_colorado

Best type of artichokes

bob_in_colorado
11 years ago

Does anyone grow artichokes? I've tried the Imperial Stars but they just don't seem to get big enough or maybe I don't start them early enough.

I have no problem starting a crop of ones that will overwinter. Looking for suggestions for the best tasting and largest artichokes.

Thanks All!

Comments (6)

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I've only grown Imperial Star. Planted the seeds in January, set out foot dia plants in early May when we still had frosts.

The first year I got maybe 10 flowers per plant. The second year, ba-boom, here they came and with 5 plants, it was more than I could eat.

What I found: learn to eat the small ones. By feel, you can tell when the heart is getting firmed up, the bottoms an inch in dia, maybe 2 inches long. Then eat the entire thing.

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

Wow, that's great to know artichokes will grow well in Zone 5! I bought some plants last year (didn't keep track of the variety name) and put them in very large pots instead of in the ground. They only grew a little bit that whole season and never flowered or fruited, and then they did not survive the winter (probably because I didn't have them in the ground and the roots got too cold).

I'll have to look for this variety, David, and give them a try again next year - this time planted in the ground. Any other tips on their care?

Thanks,
    Marj

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey David. What zone are you? How did you get them to overwinter?

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

Zone 5/6-ish. The problem isn't so much the cold, you can insulate them, its that the soil dries out and you don't know it.

I covered them with about a foot of leaves in the late fall - then its important to pour a bucket of water on them now and again to keep the soil damp enough.

There are a couple of fanatic artichoke growers around here, but they dig them up, trim them way back, pot them up, and bring them inside for the winter. I haven't done this, but it sounds pretty straight forward, its just keeping thing, particularly the roots, alive.

The things to keep in mind -

Think root structure - the bigger the better. You won't get much until the roots are well established, and that takes a season.

To get big ones, you have to prune off all the small ones. And thats when you realize its way smarter to eat the small ones.

Aphid magnets. Keep 'em hosed down with soapy water.

At the end of year two, you can start dividing the plant.

They get huge, 3 feet in diameter.

Freshly picked, rinsed off, and microwaved a couple min until they're piping hot, the small ones are something to remember.

The germination of the seeds is iffy, buy a couple packages of seed.

Start them early in Jan/Feb, and set them out early enough so that they catch a few frosts. - there is something about how the plants have to experience some frosts before they flower, but I dunno enough on that to pontificate.

They do best in high-organic, reasonably rich soil - like bags of aged manure and compost mixed in, then plant. Even moisture, use a mulch.

Its fun to try, anyway. I believe the varieties other than Imperial Star are usually done by division, and they take longer to get established, and they don't tolerate the cold. But don't quote me, those are vague memory thingies.

If I don't disremember, Steve/digit used to work in CA where they grew them, and when he wanders by, I hope he chimes in.

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks David!

• jdown
    11 years ago

There's this guy, see, whose wife spends all his money. So he decides to have her rubbed out. He finds a hit man named Arty who says, "For $100 I can shoot her."
    "I can't afford that," says the guy.
    "Well, I'll stab her for $50," says Arty.
    "Sorry, I don't even have that much. All I've got is one dollar."
    "You seem like an okay guy," says Arty, "tell you what. I'll strangle your wife for one dollar. In fact I'll do it now. Where is she?"
    "She's grocery shopping with two of her friends."
    So Arty goes to the store and sees three women, but doesn't know which one is the guy's wife. Just to be sure, he strangles all three. Arty gets caught and confesses all.
    The next day's newspaper headline reads: 'Arty Chokes Three for a Dollar at Safeway."