Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

The 'Show Off Your Tomatoes' thread

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Since the "How's your garden growing?" thread is loading so slow, I thought I would start a separate tomato thread.

This first one is Cherokee Purple. It has the largest tomatoes so far.

Here is a close up of the biggest one

{{gwi:68883}}

Moskvich. It was wintersown and one of the last ones to start flowering, but they are growing really fast.

San Marzano

Opalka

Black Cherry

{{gwi:68885}}

I believe this one is Sungold, but it's possible that it could be Supersweet 100's.

All of that variety is growing in this tiny little space.

{{gwi:68881}}

I know some of you are probably already eating ripe tomatoes, so why don't you show them off?

Bonnie

Comments (9)

• jclepine
    15 years ago

Your tomatoes are doing so well, Bonnie!!

I've just got the two from the Spring swap:

Sprite

and Yellow Pear

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I was going to take some pictures of my tomatoes today, but there's something not right with my camera. I think it's probably time to buy new rechargeable batteries. These don't seem to want to keep a charge.

I have roughly 20 Sausage (I'm still losing some to BER. :-( )

5 Roma on one plant and 2 developing on the younger Roma.
    1 Opalka
    3 Black Plum

I have flower clusters on the Garden Candy cherry, Viva Italia, and Orange Banana. I replanted a third Roma into a larger pot inside. Yes, it's late to set it out, but I didn't want to give up on it. There's still summer left.

The Sunmaster and Amish Paste don't have flowers yet, but they're strong and healthy.

I've found that tomatoes seem to like white pots best. Keeps the soil temperature down.

• meteor04
    15 years ago

Ok, you asked for it...
    first ripe-Celebrity.

{{gwi:1215500}}

Principe Borgehese...

{{gwi:1215504}}

Pink Brandywine...

{{gwi:1215508}}

I still wish I knew who to thank (other than Skybird) for the Principe B....

• meteor04
    15 years ago

Yellow pears...

{{gwi:1215513}}

Parks Whopper...

{{gwi:1215516}}

• digit
    15 years ago

Hurrah!!

There are reasons these threads take so long to load . . . and here's another one!

I could have put this picture from yesterday on the lows & highs thread claiming that I was standing on a chair with the camera but no one would believe I was so foolhardy . . . .

Frost this morning may have taken the remainder of the fruit but I don't think so. I was there just before sun-up, breathed a sigh of relief that I couldn't find any frost then raced off to the dahlia garden. Where I found some . . . frost.

Sprinklers on FULL - threw water in every direction with the hose!! Then the sun came up. Had to pull a few burned petals out of the bouquets this afternoon but, well, it is supposed to warm up.

Steve's digits

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, I'd forgotten I started this thread! Nice batch of 'maters there, Digit.

Glenwood Springs, which is about 20 minutes from here, had a frost last night, but we were in the upper 30's. I sure hope that forecast is right for tonight, since I didn't put the row cover out. It's only a matter of days though I'm sure.

The big ones were made into pasta sauce, the cherries I tried to dry in the dehydrater. Not sure if it was a success or not. Notice the Opalka and San Marzano side by side. What a difference between those two!
    {{gwi:451307}}

Bowl o' cherries (Black Cherry, Sungold, and Supersweet 100's)

Bonnie

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

34º right now, 8:00 am. I'll likely pick frost-sensitive stuff today, and bring it all in.

Or maybe not. Maybe just the really ripe peppers and the big 'maters.

Sigh.

• digit
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I hadn't forgotten the thread, obviously.

I remember feeling badly in late July that I really didn't have anything to brag about in the tomato patch. Yeah, I know what kinda gardener I am.

That photo is like the shot of a string of 40 Arctic char or whatever, from someone's fly-in trip to northern Canada - not beautiful, just boastful.

d'S'

(Still, I didn't include the 2 fruit crates behind the camera heaped full with green beefsteaks . . . ha, ha, ha, ha, hee, hee, ha, ha, ha, hee, hik, . . . :o)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Digit, I can only dream of gardening on the scale of you and David, so that quantity of tomatoes is amazing to me, even if some of them are green!

The official low last night was 36, so we escaped devastation this time. There is even a reprieve in the forecast, with predicted lows in the low 40's for the next few days, and highs in the 80's. Yippee!

Bonnie