Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best temp for tomatos

Posted by colokid 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 18:07

I still have 10 tomatoes in pots in my little green house. Mostly grow outs from my own cross. GH is in shade during the top of the day, but in afternoon the swamp cooler kicks in. It is keeping temp at 84 degrees max. Temperature at night goes to 60 regularly. Should I raise it a bit? or is 84 about right? I seem to have complete control over the maximum temperature and the cooler provides a nice strong breeze when it is running.
Out in the raised bed, my stupice it starting to blush, about time to get a fresh tomato.
KennyP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best temp for tomatos

84 is fine. Mid-90s is not.

Dan

o

The man who grew tomatoes in 3 large greenhouses around here tried to keep his 90 degrees or just under if I understood it right. He let it bump 90 to conserve on power costs some. Up to and just over 90 with temps around 60 of a night and he had good fruit set. So 84-85 should be great. Many say fruit set drops off depending on the variety around 92-93 degrees. Some varieties set well up into the mid 90's. Like I stated earlier I'm seeing fruit set with temps around 100 or over during the day. And a few varieties are starting to stick out. Personally from my experience I feel that the lows of a night are more important than the highs of the day. A subject that everyone has an opinion on and has been debated longer than the politicians has our national debt. Jay

o

One thing to keep in mind with a greenhouse is the higher humidity.

Before ventilation, obviously there is high humidity. Even after the vents are open, inside air is likely to be a bit higher. Turn on the swamp cooler and it is all evaporation cooling - nice, humid cool air!

Given Jay's experience with and information on humidity and fruit set: that may suggest keeping a lower temperature than higher.

Many plants are comfortable with 85F. We'd throw water on everything if the temperature looked like it might climb above that. There's that humidity thing, again!

Steve

o

Actually it got up to 90 Sunday. Outside was 103 degrees. Humidity is still very low inside, even when the cooler is running. Guess I will leave the settings alone. thanks for the comments,
KennyP

o

Steve,
I thought after I posted I should of stated that with a swamp cooler the humidity can cause clumping of the pollen. So the cooler the temp within reason is best.

Kenny I would imagine you are fine. My friend who had the greenhouse turned some form of bee loose in the greenhouse to help with pollination. So shaking the plants might help. Also the breeze from the cooler should help. Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here