Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapes and wasps

Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 18:33

The grapevine is I believe 5 years old now. The first 2 years there weren't many grapes. 2 years ago there were lots of grapes but almost all disappeared. I figured it was probably birds. Last year I put a bird netting over it and at least got some bunches of grapes yet it seemed lots of them disappeared. Pretty sure birds didn't get to them.

I believe it is wasps that are eating them or at least stopping on by for a nice drink of fresh grape juice then the grapes just shrivel away. I noticed today that the grapes are just beginning to blush so it's time to do something.

I read about the paper bag method but not sure it would work for me as I use sprinklers for irrigation.

The only other thing I can think of is using a floating row cover. Might be difficult to wrap the whole thing up and keep it in place.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapes and wasps

Have you seen wasps on the grapes? I haven't heard of them actually working un-blemished grapes. I've seen them when those tiny birds peck a hole in a grape, but not attack a grape themselves.

If they just disappear completely, then I'd suspect raccoons.

/like what just happened to my peaches. :-(

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 18:30

Probably not racoons. There aren't a whole lot of them around and they would probably leave tell tale signs.

I suppose I'll need to inspect closer. So far this year very few wasps have been around the metro area. But the last 2 years there were huge amounts of wasps around especially in my garden.

o

Once my grapes are fully ripe, the wasps are horrible!!! You can't even get near them in the heat of the day. We have to wait until dusk when they head back to their nests for the night to harvest them. They don't seem to be interested in them until ripe though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here