Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlegreen

Latest date to plant grapes?

turtlegreen
13 years ago

Hello,

I'm zone 5 in Arvada.

I'm in the middle of building an arbor for shade over my childrens sandbox and want to grow grapes on it. What's the latest date I can plant grapes or do I have to wait until next spring now?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on really good table grapes that do well in the Denver area?

Thanks.

Comments (17)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Hi JM,

Just have a minute right nowÂquick reply!

I didnÂt get around to planting my (first) grape vine until August 28 last year! This spring I was almost certain it was deadÂthe vines looked TOTALLY dry. I donÂt remember the date, but I did finally notice it was starting to bud. Then we got cold and snow, the buds shriveled up and dried outÂand I thought it was dead again! Several weeks later it once again started to bud! It got going very slowly, I think because the first buds froze, but itÂs doing well now. DonÂt have a recent pic in the computer! So IÂd say you could probably plant it almost anytime up until the ground freezes. With as hot as itÂs been, I think it would actually probably be better to wait till it cools off some before you put it in the ground.

After a bunch of research, I decided to get ÂRelianceÂ. ItÂs a seedless red table grape, and all the descriptions sounded really good, and itÂs one of the hardiest seedless varieties, as I understand it!

Below is a link to one of the most useful sites I found when I was doing my research.

Welcome to RMG,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Variety Chart

• turtlegreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

After doing a lot of research, I have Reliance on my short list of grapes as well, along with 'Sweet Seduction', and 'Jupiter'.

Did you find 'Reliance' locally? If so, where? I've checked quite a few places and keep running into Concord and Niagra.

Thanks again.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Being this late in the year, my guess would be that they're out of them, but I got mine at Paulino's last spring. When they got them in, they were still dormant, so I waited till they started to break dormancy, and then went over and picked one out--got a really nice one! You might give them a call, just in case they do still have some. If they do, they're probably on sale!

You could also call Timberline Gardens, which is--conveniently--located in Arvada, on West 58th Avenue. I don't know if they carry that variety, but again, I suspect they'd be out by now even if they did have them earlier---but worth a call!

I hadn't thought about it, but I wonder what the availability would be for mail order at this time of the year too! If at all possible, I prefer to get things locally so I can have a good look at them before I plunk down my money!

The only other local place I know of that might be worth a call is Tagawa's, but they're all the way down on south Parker Road. Don't know if you'd want to go that far even if they had them! I'm not familiar with the other two varieties you listed. I don't like Concord--with or without seeds. Concord and Niagara are two of the common varieties that are always available locally, pretty much everywhere. I just did a quick search for 'Sweet Seduction', and 'Jupiter', and Jupiter sounds pretty good, but I don't really know anything about it. I did run into something about 'Sweet Seduction' that sounded like the flavor might be too "strong" or "unusual" for kids to like it, if that's a consideration---since it's going over the sandbox!

If you wind up waiting, next spring would be a great time to plant too!

Let us know what you decide!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedless Grapes

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I just this morning ordered grapes from High Country Gardens - they have some varieties that are down to zone 4, many in zone 5. I ordered "Brianna", a Zone 4.

I have tried several varieties over the years, usually freebees that came with fruit tree orders out of California. They all freeze off at the ground, struggle back in the spring, but no grapes. I did have a monster Seedless Concord, but that was up by the house and protected. The voles got that one.

What ever you do, keep in mind that there is a whole big world of wonderful grapes out there that all put the standard supermarket ones to shame. And anybody can buy Welches Grape juice.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• turtlegreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Is High Country Gardens a local place or mail order? What are some good mail order places to get grapes?

I'm looking for Reliance and have tried:

Echters
    Paulinos
    Timberline
    OTooles
    Lowes
    Home Depot
    A nursery near 120th and Lowell

And no one has it.

Thanks.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

High Country Gardens is based out of Santa Fe, NM. They're a bit pricy, but they do have good stuff.

I did a quick search, and found the linked nursery that sells Reliance, and would seem to have it in stock - I have no idea what the company is like. For that price, I'd order a couple, just to be safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I grew that one as well. Very good grapes. Another casualty of the wintertime voles.

• turtlegreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the offer cnetter but I want to get things going so I think I'll opt for an already rooted plant.

I haven't been able to find Reliance locally but I have found Canadice and from my research I understand that's a very good grape as well. Has anyone tried it?

Also, does anyone know how many grape vines I can plant on my arbor for optimal coverage, health, and fruit production? It's going to be 12' in length, 4' in width, and 8' tall.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

What is the spacing on your uprights? You might put one plant on each.

I have a back porch deal with horizontal 2 x 10's, three vertical uprights, the house is the back and one side. The surface is about 12 x 20. One monster grape vine covered about half that - but it was managed* for shade, not grape production. It also took 5 years to get that big. The other uprights all have climbing roses. If I were to do it over, I'd put two plants on each upright.

*means you don't prune it back in the spring, and get lots of little grapes.

• turtlegreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My uprights are going to be 4x4 posts. They'll be spaced 4' apart at the ends and 10' apart over the sandbox. Connected to the posts will be 12' long 2x8's which will span over the sandbox. 2x4's will create the slats connected to each beam. The top surface area of the arbor will be 48 square feet.

Thanks for your help.

• cnetter
    13 years ago

It somewhat depends on the variety of grape. My friend's little champagne grape grows very short and dense. My Himrod grows very long and loose due to it's breeding with American grapes.

I'd plant at most 1 per post for quick coverage. One grape could do the whole thing, given time.

Here's some pics that show some growth per season. The arbor is 7 feet high, 8 feet deep and 20 feet long:
    About 75% of canes are removed each year - older canes since the previous years growth will be the most productive and also many newer canes because it needs much thinning. I need a picture of it when it's totally nekkid to show how little it really starts with:

2 months later:
    {{gwi:593207}}
    a few of the grapes:

• sluice
    13 years ago

Glad to get confirmation that it's still OK to plant grapes, and that they will grow in Arvada!

We're putting in our first grape plants this weekend. Received yesterday from High Country Gardens.

All one gallon: Vitis 'Brianna'(4); 'Mars'(5); 'Swensen Red'(4); 'Swensen White(4b)'

bonus - the Red came with grapes!

• flower_garden
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone - I'm new here but this seems like as good a time as any to jump in :).

I too am interested in planting a grape vine this year and I found this Colorado Grape Growers Guide which has some good information. If you scroll to page 72, there is a table with the various varieties and information on each. Canadice seems to be a strong, hardy variety. Where did you find a Canadice for sale? I've been looking for one but haven't found one nearby. My hubby's building the arbor today, now I just need to find the grapes.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Grape Growers Guide

• sluice
    13 years ago

It looks like Picadilly Nursery in Brighton carries Canadice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadice at Picadilly

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Hey, jagermeister, sluice and all,
    I work near Picadilly and have spent many a happy lunch hour roaming there. They are a good nursery IMHO.
    Barb

• turtlegreen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi treebarb, I'll definitely have to check Picadilly out.

Flower Garden - I was just at Hilltop Gardens (on Federal between 92nd and 104th) and they had quite a few Canadice left. That's a pretty far drive for you, though, from Castle Rock. Might want to call around places in south Denver. I was at Tagawa's on Saturday and they didn't have any.

I found Reliance at Elliot Gardens. They had a bunch left there as well.

Now to pick the right time to plant my new grapes. I'm hardening them off (they were in green houses when I bought them) on my patio which gets morning sun and afternoon shade before I place them in their permanent place which gets full sun all day long.