Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

Love those Ganzanias!

mstywoods
12 years ago

I really love Ganzanias - xeric and easy to grow, somewhat evergreen, and produce abundant and wonderfully colorful flowers!

I had 3 different colors last year, but only two plants survived the winter - the yellow and pink. The orange one didn't make it, which was interesting because it was the largest of the three. However, I did save seeds and planted some. So I'm hoping the seedlings I planted next to the other two and are now taking off are the orange one! They are still very small, so will have to wait and see.

Here is a pic that shows both the yellow and the pink that I have in bloom:

Anyone else have Ganzania's? Any different colors or patterns?

Marj

Comments (6)

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

They really are pretty aren't they? I didn't know they were perennial tho. I have that pink, some reddish ones, and a yellow sneaked in too. They're small, we'll see what happens as time marches on.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

Very pretty. Are they perennials or do the reseed?

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, as far as I've experienced, both. I had three plants last summer (one purchased, the other two from swaps). The flowers turn to dandelion type puffs, so I collected quite a bit to keep them from seeding everywhere. They were even flowering past the first few frosts/snows! The largest of the three plants stayed green through several snows, so that's why I say they can be somewhat evergreen. But interestingly, this largest plant is the one that didn't make it afterall.

So now I'm not sure if the two that came back this year are from the roots, or from the seeds. I planted a few seeds that I had collected in cups, and they sprouted. I planted them outside next to the other two a couple of weeks ago, and they are taking off. Hoping it's the color of the big plant (I wasn't careful about segregating the seeds in different bags) as it was a bright orange.

Here's a couple of websites about them:
    http://www.plant-biology.com/Gazania-treasure-flower.php
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7071_grow-gazania.html
    http://oldfashionedliving.com/gazania.html

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

Hi Misty,

Most Gazania species are sold as annuals, and while they're technically "perennials," they're tropical, so they'd only come back in about zone 8 or warmer. If your pink one came back, chances are that it reseeded!

Your yellow one is most likely Gazania linearis 'Colorado Gold'. That's the hardiest one--hardy to z5, and maybe z4--and was a big sensation, and a PlantSelect selection in '98. I have one that was in here when I bought the house, and it can be real pretty, but, as you mentioned, when it goes to seed it looks very much like a dandelion, and that's kind of a turn-off as far as I'm concerned! (Just not a big fan of dandelions--or things that resemble them!) I've been ignoring it for several years now, and it's going downhill! Don't know if they tend to be short lived or not, but I'm absolutely sure the heavy clay and rocks it's planted in isn't helping it! If I dug it up, divided it, and stuck it in some better soil, I'm guessing it would get going again! If anyone is looking for this one, it should be available at both Paulino's and Timberline--probably at other "real" garden centers too--most decent places carry the PlantSelect plants. (PlantSelect, for those unfamiliar with it, is a cooperative program run by Panayoti Kelaidis at DBG and Jim Klett at CSU that selects and promotes relatively unknown and new plants for the Rocky Mountain area.)

And there's one other "hardy" Gazania that I know about, Gazania krebsiana 'Tanager'. This one, also PlantSelect, but I'm not sure what year, would be pushing it to survive in z5, is marginal in z6, and should do well in z7. With the right micro climate, I think this one would probably be worth a try even in z5 if it's something you really like! Link below to the High Country site, and, again, should be available at a decent garden center. Your orange one may very well have been 'Tanager'.

There are a lot of really pretty colors in the annual ones, they bloom most of the summer, and would be worth starting from seed--I think winter sowing would work--every year if you like them. Google Gazania and click on Images for some spectacular pics!

I'm not sure if they cross or not, but I suspect they do, so you might be surprised by the color you get! :-) The separate species may not cross, so if you had the two hardy species and your pink one was one of the "annual" species, perhaps they'll come true from the seed.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Gazania krebsiana 'Tanager' - High Country

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, Skybird - it was Tanager that I had! I'd forgotten the name, but found my list finally - and that was it. It bloomed the most last year, so most of the seeds I collected were from it. Maybe I collected too many and that's why it didn't come up this year!! But I've got plenty more seeds, so I'll keep trying.

The yellow one didn't really die back completely, like the Tanager did, so it apparently is a more hardier variety. And I'm sure some of the seeds probably took as well. Never have grown these before, so am learning along the way. Will see how they behave through this winter and see what comes up next spring.

I don't mind the puffy seeds - they are very easy to collect as the whole flower pod just kind of falls off onto the ground in a bundle. Then I pull off the rest of the head/stalk so the plant looks trimmed up again. I've already started a fresh bag marked with the color - starting with the yellow. Is that a recent picture of your yellow? If you just want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands at the fall swap! Or divide it up - there may be some others interested as well!

You know - I've seen it spelled both 'gazania' and 'ganzania'!! I wonder which is the really correct spelling?!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

It's definitely Gazania, Misty. I probably will dig it up one of these years and divide and give some of it away, but not likely by the Fall Swap. The stuff planted out front is really nasty to dig up! It's planted thru landscape fabric, and what the "landscape company" (I'm sure!) did was basically to cut the fabric, dig a hole, stick the plants in, and them fill the hole back up mostly with the rock mulch! And I'm sure they got paid a fortune to do it! Several years ago I dug up the 'Johnson's Blue' Geranium that had been planted out there---in FULL SUN, and that's what I found! It was growing in ROCK for the most part! So I don't know when I'll get it done--too much to do in the backyard--where I live, but if it's still alive when I get around to it, I'll have one for you!

If one of your seedlings turns out to be a 'Tanager', plant is in a south exposure, and, if possible, next to rocks or a brick wall or sidewalk, or something else that will help hold the heat over winter. Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll keep coming back.

The 'Colorado Gold' should easily come back every year for you. They like dry--don't keep it too wet, especially in winter.

Almost forgot! Mine in the pic goes back to '07--the year it looked the best! I bought the house early in '04, and I suspect it had been put in late in '03. The house was on the market for over a year, and they kept doing "improvements," trying to sell it. The little covered deck, the "landscaping," all new carpet, and the nice bathroom remodel downstairs were all quite recent when I bought it!

Skybird