Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interesting wildflower I saw today

Posted by mstywoods zn 5 - Westminster, (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:05

I was taking a walk today around the park I usually go and saw a wildflower I've never seen there before. It smells really nice, too. So I picked a bloom and did some internet searching when I got home. Turns out it is Showy Milkweed. Ever seen it? It's very cool!

I also found a nice site giving info on various Colorado wild flowers and weeds: http://www.wildflowersofcolorado.com/. So many pretty wild flowers! I may try to find some to add to my garden, although I already see a few plants around my yard that I suspect are wild flower volunteers (columbine, aster, and penstemon). The aster was blooming when we moved in, but the penstemon showed up last year near the aster. The columbine showed up this year, but might have come in with another plant that was given to me. In any case, I am enjoying them :)

Marj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interesting wildflower I saw today

They are, indeed, very pretty in bloom. Tons of them out here on the prairie. Not a problem until the pods burst open and the seeds fly everywhere and there are hundreds of them in the coming years. :)

o

Very pretty, Marj!

o

It's a favorite of the Monarch butterfly. I know people who grow them just for them.

o

I went for a walk again yesterday and pulled one of them out of the ground. It appears to grow from a rhizome. Not sure if I will be successful with replanting it after just yanking it out of it's home, but figured it was worth the try. I'll also keep checking them on my walks for when the seeds are ready and collect some, and try planting some.

If this works, I will be sure to check my own plants for when the pods are getting ready to burst so I don't end up with a massive amount - thanks for that tip jailranchr!

I would love to have some Monarch butterflies stopping in my yard!

o

We have the ugly milkweed version out here :-).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here