Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
almost embarrassed to show you this

Posted by digit ID/WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 20:23

. . . onion in storage from October to the last week of July!

We just carried some of our 2010 potato harvest down to a room in the basement. In a basket, in the "cold room," in the basement . . . what do we find: this yellow onion!

It is from a set that was probably planted amongst the tomato plants in the spring of 'o9! The tomatoes overwhelm the onions and there are always a few that aren't harvested until after frost kills the tomatoes.

Otherwise, my storage onions in 'o9 were mostly the Sterling Whites I bought from Dixondale Farms and set out as plants. They were lovely but sure weren't capable of lasting 9 or 10 months, plus!!

This house that was built over 100 years ago. That is, the front rooms of the house were. The basement and the rooms above it were added later but there is a room directly under the living room floor. It was used for food storage and there are shelves. The walls are concrete and rock but the floor is dirt - or what passes for dirt around here: gravel.

I use this room to store dahlia roots, gladiola bulbs, potatoes and onions during the winter.

The thermometer in the basement cool room shows 64 right now - it's well over 90 outside. During subzero weather, the temperature has been as low as 35. You can imagine, I get a little nervous when it's that cold with all those roots down there thru the winter. Usually, it stays about 45 to 50. There's no special insulation.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this onion! I sauteed it in a little vegetable oil, dropped in some small meatballs with some stock and noodles. Enjoyed it with whole grain toast for lunch.

I have literally been harvesting onions for months - scallions, anyway. Sweet onions began to bulbed up about 2 weeks ago and they are a good deal bigger than this little guy. But . . . there he is. Or, was . . .

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: almost embarrassed to show you this

How could you? After all those months of surviving down there all alone with no heat, no refrigeration and nothing to do but contemplate what to do with its life and then you ate it? Awww, poor little onion.

I hope it was worth it!

...made myself laugh!

J.

o

J, there were tears.

It was, however, possible to savor the moment.

S'

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 20:09

That's great! I hope my garlic stays fresh so long, though I don't have any place special to hang it.

Garlic and Katy

o

That looks like a tempting location, Jnfr!

S'

o

Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 9:56

The cats don't seem interested :). No vampires yet!

o

That is beautiful! I love the way the garlic looks just hanging there. Now I want to grow garlic too. Too many veggies, not enough time. I find it hard to believe the cat doesn't at least swat at the bulbs ;)

Pablo was nibbling the leaves of the tomatoes last night. They came in from the hail and Pablo rushed right over to start eating them. Why do my dogs eat my plants?? Sigh.

Is it just me or does the garlic skin have a sheen to it?

J.

o

Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 21:19

The skin has a beautiful sheen to it, yes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here