Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Fall Swap 2010

Hi Everyone,

I think its about time to get this thread going! Its only about two months till the next swap!

Charlene has once again graciously offered to host the swap at her house, and, unless there are objections, I think well take her up on her offer! In her post on the first swap thread, on June 14, she said:

"I would love to host the fall swap this year if no one else has stepped forward. If I hosted, my August is swamped so it would have to be in Sept. (the 4th or 11th)."

If I had my druthers, Id pick the 4th! By the 11th Ill already be in Southern Utah on whats become my annual pilgrimage! But if the 4th doesnt work for most people, Ill be sure I get my plants to somebody who can get them to the swap! I have 30 things potted up alreadyand I havent really started yet!

So lets get some opinions and try to decide which date will work the best for most people.

For those of you who havent been to a swap at Charlenes before, to get to her house you exit I25 at one of the exits just north of Castle Rock, and then shes just a mile or two off of the highway! Very easy to get to. Great for folks from the Springs and the Metro area, but a little bit further for the folks up north of Denver. And for Bonnie! Well, its a long way to Silt no matter how you look at it!

For everyone, here are all the BASIC SWAP FAQS!

Anything that has anything to do with gardening is welcome at the swap! Plants, of course, but also seeds, cut herbs, fresh veggies, pots, books/magazines, tools, garden art.......... Anything garden related that you dont want or need anymore! The plants are the only thing that we "officially" trade! Anything else will just be up for grabs on a first come, first served basis!

And then theres the pot luck part of the swap! Your dish can be absolutely anything! Hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweetsanything you think others would enjoy! Homemade dishes, if you have time, are always good and very much appreciated! Please plan to bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish, and also please make some provision for it to be covereda lid if its that type of dish, or plastic wrap, or whatever. And a request I made at the last couple swaps that has worked out pretty well! I love sweets, so I definitely dont want to put too much of a damper on the dessert type things, but at a couple of the early swaps we seemed to wind up with mostly sweets, so if youre trying to decide between that or something else, lean toward the something else! And if you happen to have something that needs to be reheated, Im sure youll be welcome to do it in Charlenes oven or microwave.

Heres the basic timeline:

~ When you arrive, there will be a table with a sign in sheet and name badges. Everybody needs to sign in and make a name badge for themselves and any significant others or guests.

~ We start out with the eatinggives us energy to do the swapping!

~ Then, when we get to the swapping part, we draw numbers for the first TWO rounds of picking what we want. With number in hand, we go around and have everybody briefly describe what they brought so people know whats there and so everyone can be poised to jump, to get what they wantif nobody else selects it first! After the two rounds of picking the two things we want the most, we open it up to a free-for-all, where everyone just goes around and grabs whatever they want of whats left! (Wear your helmet!)

So thats how it works! Not really too complicated!

Heres some basic info about the plants you bring:

~ Please be sure each of the plants you bring is labeled one way or another! It doesnt need to be anything fancy! Here are some of the ways theyve been labeled in the past: a regular plant tag in the pot Plastic beverage cups cut up into narrow strips to use as plant tags popsicle sticks used as plant tags staple a piece of paper with the name onto the pot write the name of the plant on the pot with a marker or crayon make up adhesive labels with the plant name and basic information and stick them on the pots. I make up little strips of paper on the computer with the info and include one with each plant. Anything that will work to ensure the person getting the plant will know what they have when they get home. When were at the swap, we all think well be able to remember the things were getting to take home, and then we wind up grabbing all kinds of things in the free-for-all, and........... Oops! What is this!

~ Whether its divisions or seedlings or whole plants youll be bringing, please try to get them into their pots by at least a couple weeks before the swap so they have time to "settle in" and start to root out a little bit. Most plants dont do at all well in "garden soil," so if at all possible, use some sort of a store bought potting mix. It doesnt need to be expensive! (But Hyponex would probably be worse than garden soil, so if thats the option, stick with the garden soil!)

~ And please plan to thoroughly water the plants youre bringing the DAY BEFORE the swap so theyll have time to drain well enough to be easy to transport, yet be wet enough to not be wilting at the swap or while people are taking them home! We had wilting problems at the first couple swapswere learning!

And then theres that one Swap Law that everybody needs to know about!

Nobody needs to have any plants to be welcome at the swap! If youre new to gardening and dont have anything yet, if you just moved to a new house and dont have anything to give away yet, or if you just dont have anything for any reason at all, thats ok! There are always plenty of plants to go around, and we get together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plantsso come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring! (And, yes, you do get to pick plants in the swap part even if you werent able to bring any!)

On the day of the swap we dont allow any "early picking," meaning nobody can take any of the plants till we start our first two rounds of picking, BUT we do allow earmarking of plants when people post what they plan to bring. Ill try to get a thread started in the next couple days for people to list what theyre bringing, and for people to make requests, so lets try to keep most of that out of this thread for now. This thread will get so long all by itself that it will be hard to use by the time of the swap! ~~~ Fall Swap ~~~ Fall Swap ~~~ Fall Swap ~~~ Whos interested? Skybird

Comments (18)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Skybird, way to cover the bases! Count me in and either date works. Will post later with what I'm bringing (haven't killed yet).
    Barb

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    13 years ago

Oh..Oh...I can come to the Fall Swap. I missed the Spring Swap this year. Charlene, I look forward to seeing the babies and either date would work for me. Skybird, thanks for the swap update! If you have any Campanula persicifolia, Peachleaf Bellflower or Snowdrop Aneome, I'd love some. Karen, I'm looking forward to coming to your open garden this year. The day lilies I received at last year's swap are doing wonderfully. The extra rain this year has been helpful.

-Cyndi

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Count me in as well! Either date works for me. Thanks Skybird for getting this posting started. Thanks Charlene for hosting the swap!!!

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

Count me in, either date. Mainly tomato plants and seeds.

d

• amester
    13 years ago

I'm good for either date as well. Hooray!

I'll have 'Walker's Low' catmint, callirhoe involucrata (poppy mallow or winecups), yarrow (whitish pink mix), centranthus ruber (valerian) and 'May Night' salvia for sure if anyone wants those. I can also bring some 'Cherry Bells' campanula, a few daylilies (mostly pinks, peaches, yellows), tall bearded iris (purple falls, lavender standards, yellow beards - they smell to heaven), and raspberries galore. Will look around and see what else may be likely candidates.

Cyndi, I do have a clump of peachleaf bellflower - you are welcome to swing by and dig up a piece anytime. :)

I can't remember who I got the hot pink hollyhock start from at the last fall swap but it's six feet tall and gorgeous - thanks again!

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I'm totally interested! I prefer the 4th too. I'll have Campanula punctata Cherry Bells (the super spreading one you have to watch out for but absolutely gorgeous) and Lots of yellow with purple iris, I think they are bearded and they smell sweet.

Wheeeee....

Jennifer

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, were off and running! With Charlene and myself, I have eight people on the list already!

I just started the What are you bringing? What do you want? thread, so if youve already mentioned things on this thread that youre planning/hoping to bring, please go list them on the new thread too. Lets try again to keep all the information about whos bringing what over there, to try to keep this thread at least manageable.

Skybird

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

Hi all!

I'm going to have to do Sept. 11th. Because as it turns out I will be out of town on the 4th. One of my little cousins is getting married on the 4th in Calif. and I wasn't going to go because I didn't want to spend the money to fly all the kids out there. But my family in CA really wants me there and I would like to be there too so I am going to fly there alone for the weekend (kinda excited about that, too!!).

Skybird, I hate that you won't be able to make it on the 11th!! You're such a big part of the swaps and way more organized than me.

I hope this works out for most people.

Charlene

• jclepine
    13 years ago

It works for me!

Sounds like you'll be having a vacation...a real vacation!

Jennifer

• redley_gardener
    13 years ago

I'll be there on the 11th!!!
    Put it in my calendar and I am jazzed already!

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

Polygonum, Chcolatedog, and me are going to be at the swap, at this point both of the dates are possible

• col_sprg_maters
    13 years ago

4th works out better for us. It is a holiday weekend, I understand

d

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

Ill be there.

gloria

• foxes_garden
    13 years ago

Might be able to make it. I've put it on my calendar.
    -Francesca

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,

Im sorry its taken me so long to get back here! Ive just been too busy to get this done!

Im sorry I wont be able to make it to this swapbut there will always be another one! :-) Have fun on your trip, Charlene, and enjoy your "time on your own!" I think you deserve it! I was looking forward to seeing your yard and what has grown up of the things youve gotten at past swaps, but I guess by the next time I come to a swap at your house theyll be even bigger! I sure hope youve been able to keep the bunnies away from at least some of your stuff!

On the day of the swap, I hope to be hiking a couple slot canyons in Grand-Staircase Escalante Natl. Monument called Peek-a-boo Gulch and Spooky Gulch! I was hoping to do them last year, but it was threatening rain, and its "unwise" to go into a canyon that gets as narrow as 18" and that was carved by running water, when it might rain! Keep your fingers crossed for me that Im able to do it this year!

Since I wont be able to come, Im going to need somebody to take the plants Im getting ready. Ill need them picked up, hopefully by the 5th, but no later than the 6th for sure. Since theyre in small cups, whoever gets them will need to watch them for water for a few days before the swap.

Im on the north end of Denver at 120th and Colorado Blvd. Its only about 2½ miles east of I25, so pretty easy to get to.

If anybody can do this, please PM me, or email me if you have my address.

Since I wont be coming to this one, I wont be keeping exact track of whos coming and such, but Ill just make this point hereeverybody be sure you "private message" Charlene thru her bio page to send her your email address so she can send you the directions youll need to get to her house on the day of the swap. Im sure shell post a message at some point with the people who still havent contacted her, but, remember, if she doesnt have your address, she cant email you the information!

So, have fun everyone, and Ill be looking for the pictures by the time I get back home!

Skybird

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

I should be able to make it on the 11th. What time?

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

Hi all,

Sad that you can't make it Skybird. Already bought my ticket to go out of town the weekend before so it's done and I can only do the 11th. Skybird, If you are passing this way anytime this summer I'd love to have you stop by!

I'm thinking we should do the swap on 9/11 at 1:00 potluck style. I'm not quite as organized as Skybird so I'm not going to post any lists for people to bring stuff. Just bring what sounds good to you! I have lots of paper goods.

Don't forget to go to "My Page" and send me your email address. I'll keep a list of everyone who wants to come and then send out a mass email with directions a week or so before the swap.

Looking forward to it!

Charlene
    Looking forward to it!

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I sent out an email with directions to the fall swap a few minutes ago to everyone who rsvp'd to my personal email (through the forum's MyPage).

If you didn't receive the email and you are planning on coming please email me again and I'll get the info to you asap.

Thanks and looking forward to it!!!

Charlene

Oh, I didn't put in the email but maybe a few more chairs might be needed? I'll have a few blankets set out too. I'm a bit embarrassed because my lawn is dormant and ugly with how dry it's been and we're on a private well (wells have been known to go dry in our neighborhood) so I just can't justify spending the water on the lawn. I'd rather spend my water on the veggie garden and I can't wait to show you!!