Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boyz_gw

Help! Squash Bugs!

boyz
12 years ago

I'm desperate. I planted 8 pumpkin plants and the squash bugs are killing them off! I have sprayed the plants with Sevin twice so far. When I water them I kill any that come crawling out at the base of the plant, but there hasn't been that many. I have never found them on the underside of the leaves. I just don't know how to find and kill them. I will do anything at this point. I'm pretty confident that is what is killing them. Any help out there?

Comments (6)

• digit
    12 years ago

I had some squash bug problems on of the zucchini last year. The rotenone/pyrethrin spray was fairly effective on them. I had to do quite a bit of crawling around to be able to get a good shot at the bugs. Organic rotenone is supposed to have some residual effect - maybe that's why I can't find it available any longer. Pyrethrin is still out there.

Spinosad is a new-to-me spray and I'll be using it if squash bugs show up this year. It is a biological control like Bt.

You may have already done a lot to kill the pests with Sevin and, in my experience, it is always best to go back for that 2nd spraying after the eggs have had time to hatch. There is probably a good chance that we never get 'em all, however. And, plant recovery does take some time.

Steve

• mt_teacher
    12 years ago

I just read that you should put a board near your plants and the squash bugs will congregate there at night. Early the next morning, lift the board and get rid of them.

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Ewww, I googled 'squash bugs' images and they are ugly critters - aren't they?!!!

I'm going to keep an eye out in our garden for them - so far, our plants are looking ok. The board idea sounds intriguing! Has anyone tried that? How well did it work?

Marj

• digit
    12 years ago

Personally, Marj,

I see any critter that is eating my food as really ugly!

It always seems to be a "How dare they?!" moment.

Steve

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Besides the sprays mentioned I've had fair success using a highly concentrated garlic spray. Not a 100% effective but if started early seems to deter them. After they show up it takes a while to get rid of them. Jay

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

This year has been the worst as far as squash bugs go! Everyday, I pick anywhere from 6 -12 off of my squash and pumpkin plants, and have to scrap their eggs off the underside of the leaves. At first I was so grossed out by them, I would only pick them off if I had gloves on, or I would knock them off with a stick and step on them. I'm getting braver now though, 'cause I'm getting fed up with them.

It's also been a very bad year for earwigs, though I think part of that may be due to the straw mulch. It gives them a place to run and hide.

... and the mosquitos, WOW, they are ridiculous this year!

... and don't get me started about the grasshoppers!

Did I mention that I'm sick of bugs? Even had nightmares about them last night!!!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?