Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

trying out two new roses

jclepine
15 years ago

I had that garden itch, the one in which I want something new well after I've decided I've spent enough this year. So, I popped into Harlequin Gardens and picked up two roses after picking the owners brains for about an hour. Ah, they give such good tips!

I have a Kaitlyn Ainsley, my first Rugosa, and The Fairy. The Kaitlyn Ainsley was highly recommended for my area but the guy suggested I mulch The Fairy the first winter.

I'm so excited! Now I just have to decide where to put them. I know which bed the are going in, the one with my three roses and all the pansies. But who belongs where?? I have only two in the ground, the Morden Blush and the Winnepeg Parks. I kept the Morden Sunrise in a pot but plan on putting it in the ground. It is not growing or blooming nearly as much as the others.

Can't wait to get my hands dirty!!

Do any of you think I should leave them in the nursery pots for a day or two? They only had to come up three thousand feet but maybe it is best to wait before transplanting them?

Anyhoo, I'll take a photo when I get them in the ground.

Yay for dirt!!

Comments (5)

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

I would not think that leaving them in the pots is going to help them acclimate; it's probably better to get them into the ground. You could try and shade them a little for a few days if that's possible, but I would say go ahead and plant 'em, before you lose all that enthusiasm ;-)

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I grow "THE FAIRY". She holds her color better if she's in shade, otherwise she washes out to an almost white flower. She is shown at rose shows a lot. I've had her in for 3 years, like ALL roses give her LOTS of water! I'm at 6800' & never mulched mine. Enjoy.....!!!!!

• jclepine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both!! I am up a bit higher, 8300, but so far things are doing really well...and so am I :)

I do think I should get them in the ground! I am already thinking, "hmm, maybe I should just wait till the weekend."

I wonder. The bed they are going in is full sun alllllll day long. The Morden's Blush has one side that always seems white and the rest is pink. I haven't prepared any beds that are in the shade...might be worth it to do just that. I really wish that the bind weed that never seems to really go away would just stay in one spot, wrapped around my little fence in order to provide a bit of dappled shade.

Thank you both for the input!!

Jennifer

• jclepine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did it! I replanted the one in the pot and put the two new ones in the ground today...in the hail and rain. Phew! I can't wait till they are in bloom and I can take a photo to show them off. I put them in the bed with the others and I think they will be spectacular next spring when they burst with growth.

I'm really excited about the Kaitlin Ainsley as it has gigantic and colourful hips. I should probably cut them off but I like the way they look.

Darren asked if I was done for the year or if I thought I'd need new plants. Well, the fall swap is coming so I guess I'm not done!! Other than that, I think I am.

All I need to learn know is how not to kill off my rose cuttings. After killing off all the cuttings Cnetter gave me, I feel kind of silly. It shouldn't be THAT hard, but somehow they always die on me.

There is always next year...

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Actually it's best to plant roses early in the spring so they have time to set roots and aclamate. But......now is when everyone is marking down their roses to get rid of them. I LOVE a SALE!!! :0) So I'm buying and planting like crazy. Places like Home Depot & Walmart offer a 1 year warranty. Roses are addicting! I would love to see pictures of your new roses.