Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Septoria Leaf Spot

Posted by provogirl 5CO (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 21:09

Last night I noticed that my tomatoes were developing some darkish spots with light centers and some branches were yellowing. After and inventory it appears that about 45 tomato plants are infected with some being worse than others. Carl Wilson at CSU has suggested that it appears to be septoria leaf spot which I have seen before and suspected it may be. I haven't been watering overhead (the Monsoons have done that for me) and I have mulched with grass clippings as best as I can. I fertilized about a week ago and sprayed with Palmolive/water solution about 2 weeks ago. I am thinking about uprooting the tomatoes that are infected the worst. I read somewhere that a copper solution may help. Any other proven suggestions for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Septoria Leaf Spot

Carl knows his stuff. Ask him what he uses. Might even be on his blog.

Dan

o

Dan- I didn't find anything on Carl's blog regarding Septoria Leaf Spot. He recommended leaving the plants alone in addition to continued mulching and ground watering.

I will admit I pulled out 4 plants that looked pretty infected. The tomatoes haven't even come close to producing much of anything yet. Although they are starting to flower more so I hope they recover and I get some tomatoes.

This is exactly why I go overkill when it comes to planting...Between the hail, heat, wind, cold, locusts,and diseases I barely get enough to put up for the winter.

Looks like I may have a problem with my quinoa also....guess I will go look into that.

ProvoGirl

o

He's pretty accessible on the weekends, not sure you can get him on the phone during the week, tho.

Personally, I'd clean all debris, prune off infected lvs, Neem. I find my family back east that uses grass clippings as mulch have more problems than those who use straw - I use straw mat and zero problems with fungus-type critters.

Dan

o

It commonly shows up in my garden on, at least, a few plants. Sometimes worse but usually not all that debilitating to them.

Not only common in the garden, septoria is just about everywhere in everything. I would be surprised if you can eliminate its occurrence completely without frequent use of fungicides . . .

. . . or, just very good luck.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here