Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_in_colorado

Grafted Plants Suck!

bob_in_colorado
12 years ago

That's being very blunt, but it's how I feel. I've planted many a grape vine and many a rose bush and BLAM!, the graft gets zapped by one thing or another. (Yes I planted my hybrid tea grafts at or below the surface like it says to).

Then the roots are great and send up a plant I didn't want. I have since replanted own-root grape vines, roses and fruit trees where I can find them. When I take out the root stock from a honkin grafted plant, it's doing great, but I'd rather have roots of the true species plant!

Why graft roses? Mass production very quickly?

Grafted grape vines in CO aren't really necessary because of phloxera, or specifically, the lack thereof.

Why graft trees?

Save your plants! Save your $$$! If you must by grafted stuff, tip in, take cuttings or do what you have to in order to get own root stuff going. You'll be happier in the long run!

IMHO

Comments (10)

• dsieber
    12 years ago

???? That is broad claim. Probably 200 years of horticulture is based on grafting. If you are getting things from the root just cut them back. It is just not set it and forget it!!!! Grafting is a major break through.
    You can live with huge trees that take may years to become productive going the non-grafted route, it is your time!!!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

You'll be happier in the long run!

More than a century of practice with positive outcomes, billions of dollars worth of material sold every year, and almost all of the tree fruit we eat: gone with one forum post. Graftageddon.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Has anyone tried grafting tomatoes yet? Johnny's was selling seeds for the root stock at some exorbitant price, and it didn't seem worth the effort.

• keen101
    12 years ago

My parents bought a red maple from a magazine once. The top died and sent up a green maple rootstock. It's been the largest and best maple tree ever! Good thing the top died. :)

• cnetter
    12 years ago

Bob_In_Colorado says:
    "Why graft roses? Mass production very quickly? "

Actually, this is exactly why roses are grafted. I elaborated on it in a previous post, but yes. The rootstock is easy to grow to size quickly and only a single bud eye of the desirable rose is needed per plant.

As for grapes, I root my own. I haven't seen an advantage in Colorado in growing grafted grapes as opposed to non-grafted. Own root grapes appear to be just as vigorous.

I have a few own root fruit trees as well, but that was also my own doing.

In general, grafting seems to be the most economical way to produce plenty of desirable varieties of plants such as roses, grapes, trees, etc., that would not come true from seed and would be labor intensive to root from cuttings.

I know of some local nurseries that do specialize in own root roses.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I can definitely see the argument for own-root roses, particularly with harsh winters where the die back is so severe.

I have also had a lot more luck with own-root plum trees - well, shrubs - than the grafted tree.

• jclepine
    12 years ago

I partially agree, Bob.

I prefer own-root plants but maybe that is because winters can be harsh up here.

But, and I think you'll agree with me here, I love apples and I would not want to think how hard it would be to grow an apple from seed only to find out it produces awful, inedible fruit. I guess more farmers could try growing from cuttings but that seems like it would bring up the price of apples quite a bit!

Oh, my, thank you CNetter for the shared knowledge!

J.

• elkwc
    12 years ago

There are pros and cons to each method. I ended up going with own root roses but my apple trees are grafts. Like Netter says on roses mass production is a major factor. Economics is the deciding factor in private enterprise unlike in Washington. Like mentioned with the die back we have here I like own root roses. They will sprout back and your are fine. Hardly ever do the roots die or suffer damage.

Now for tomatoes I see advantages to grafting and started this year experimenting with it. This year was more perfecting the grafting technique. I have witnessed a growing vigor that offers promise. It will be 2-3 years before I will feel comfortable releasing results. Here in Kansas we are fortunate to have a young man who did graduate studies on grafting working for the state extension service now. If bought in bulk the seeds can be bought some cheaper. Mine cost around 15-20 cents a piece as I bought smaller amounts till I decide which varieties will work best for me. But at that if they offer a big increase in production and survivability I feel they are worth it. Around here plants in pots run from 2-5 dollars. At 20 cents that is a small amount of the total. And if I can increase my production by 1 pound I have more than covered the cost of the seed and my time grafting. I know growers who I chat/talk/exchange info with who are seeing average increases in total production of 20-30%. I know a few who have went to all grafted plants on in ground and greenhouse plants. Only time will tell how they do here for me and if it is worth while for the home gardener. If you have little disease problems and get good production then it may not be worth the increased expense. Something each grower will have to determine. I plant to plant around 50% grafted plants next season for side by side comparisons. I will post some results maybe after the 2012 season. Jay

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

I have witnessed a growing vigor that offers promise.

I agree. I was supposed to start this year and didn't. Next year hopefully for sure & local sales shortly thereafter.

Dan

• mtny
    12 years ago

more grafting ...less genetic engineering