Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower Issues

Posted by GarnerGarden 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 21:46

So..... this sunflower looks pretty unhappy to me. I had two, but one has completely died off and been removed. This one has begun a similar browning of the leaves as the one that died. Is this one on its way out too? What is wrong with it?

I'm not sure if this is fungal in nature or what, but it looks serious. It's opening a bloom, so it's not totally dead here. I went ahead and sprayed it with some neem oil today since I didn't know what else to really do. Not sure if that will even do anything since I'm not sure what the problem is.

I read something about a rust mold or something in my google quests, but am not sure if that is what I have here. The coloring certainly does look somewhat "rusty". The leaves are dry and sort of crisp. It's in a large container and I haven't been watering it much at all with this rain we've had.

The sunflowers did great until I transplanted them into the large container where they began going downhill a while later. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower Issues

Is it the same thing that is happening to these Vincas? I guess I just don't mix well with flowers!!

o

Maybe the same thing ...

You are only likely to get a single flower from that non-branching sunflower. All of them are magnets for both aphids and spider mites. I think you did the right thing with the neem oil.

Why don't you take a close look for bugs on both plants. You may want to go ahead and spray the vinca. Be ready to toss the sunflower, however. Just enjoy the bloom.

Steve

o

It doesn't appear to be mites or aphid damage to me. It looks more diseased than infested with insects. My guess is a virus of some sort, but I'm no expert on horticultural diseases.

I'd make sure to avoid splashing water from one plant to the adjacent plants and maybe exile the sickened few away from the others.

Maybe someone with more disease knowledge can help...good luck

o

Could be a fungal disease. If it is, you may find it helpful to apply a fungicide that's formulated for sunflower rust.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown spots on sunflower leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here