Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Wheat Nearing Harvest!

digit
13 years ago

I can actually say that my wheat "field" is taller than it is wide!

Steve

Comments (18)

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

Mine is only about a foot tall, not enough consistant water. It is turning amber, we will see if it is worth anything. What a wierd growing year. But I'll never give up. gloria

• windwhipped
    13 years ago

How much wheat do you grow, Steve, and what do you do with it? Sell, grind your own flour? Make wonderful, great smelling homemade bread? Yes, it is getting near to dinnertime.

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that's 40', Windwhipped.

And, the plants really are taller than the bed is wide!

I hasten to add, I've sometimes grown wheat in a 4' wide bed!!

The wheat is just used for ornamental purposes. And, my little flock of laying hens really enjoy a few handfuls of seed tossed their way.

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

How pretty, Digit!

What do you do with them? Do you use them with the flowers?

Skybird

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Skybird!

This stuff may have to wait until next year. Which it can, just set it upright in a bucket after it dries.

There's statice but it is being used fresh so far with the flower bouquets. Other than that . . . a few poppies and some cone flowers.

The usual companions, strawflowers and nigella, weren't grown this year. I must have missed foraging for money plants by now and teasel is just a little dangerous, in a fairly mild sort of way.

S'

13 years ago

How about some great leatherwood ferns?

A few years ago you posted some pics of all your flowers! You should do that again sometime! (They were all in buckets after you had cut them.) But go a little bit bigger than the one above! I tried to click on it to make it bigger and it didn't work!

Skybird

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The picture can be larger, Skybird, but it is still the same little cellphone doing the taking . . .

This is in the opposite direction on what might have been the same morning as the "wheat field" photo was taken. The zinnias and the sunflowers and snapdragons behind them are now, all a bit more floridificacious!

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not all . . . but here is one. I'm trying:

S'

13 years ago

I LOVE your flowers, Digit! Not talking anything at all like the scale you have out there, but IÂve always wanted a "cutting garden," and it looks like I will never have room for it at this point, so, I do SO envy you being able to go out and cut some to "bring in" whenever you want to! Yeah! I know you grow them to sell, but please tell me that SOMETIMES you cut some "just for you!"

If you grow statice, have you ever considered growing the perennial statices so you donÂt have to "start all over" every year? I have a Limonium latifolium, sea lavender, just starting to bloom right now. Very delicate, light and airy lavender flowers. And thereÂs the German statice, Goniolimon tartaricum, which is a white one with much "heavier flowersÂmuch closer to the annual one. I think the German one might be kind of short lived, but the Limonium is a reliably hardy perennial that should come back year after year. It just seems like that would save you a lot of work!

It seems to me that money plant "bouquets" would sell like gangbusters! I have a huge bunch of the stuff on a bookcase thatÂs probably 25 years old! Wish I had room to grow a "new" batch! But, pretty plants, they definitely arenÂt!

I so wish this was smellavision so I could get a couple BIG whiffs of your snaps!

Post some more pics when you have them all in buckets again!

Skybird

P.S. Is your last post another one of those pictures that weÂre supposed to channel???

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those last 2 pictures did come thru, didn't they? I used tinypic, which is a photobucket service. I guess I'm just going to have to order that bluetooth thinga-m-bob from Amazon if I'm going to continue using the cellphone to take pictures.

More perennials? Yes, I have considered sea lavender and Russian sage and others. Weeds! I hate to try to control the weeds in very many square feet of perennials! Maybe, I just enjoy the look of good fertile soil covered with winter snow, too much. Having a greenhouse to grow annuals spoils me, I suppose.

There aren't all that many square feet to my cutting gardens, in the bigger scheme of things. They certainly don't amount to 25% of my gardens. Probably, a lot of people could assign, say, 1 foot out of every 5 to something that they will harvest for bouquets. (You know, man does not live by [wheat] bread, alone . . . or, something like that. :o)

S'

13 years ago

"In the bigger scheme of things," your flower gardens are BIG, Digit! Just PART of your flower garden is TEN TIMES bigger than my WHOLE veggie garden! Only in my dreams will I ever have as much space as you do! Oh, well! IÂll take what I have and enjoy it! Every square INCH of it!

Man definitely does NOT live by wheat alone!

Skybird

P.S. Re the pictures, IÂm REALLY curious now! When you look at the August 5, 2021 post, can YOU see the pictures you posted??? There are no pictures there for me, and if there is for anybody else, IÂd love to hear about it! Is it really possible to post pictures that SOME people can see, but not others???

• luckybottom
    13 years ago

I see all photos but the first one posted July 21.

13 years ago

Wow! I really didnÂt know that was possible! I see only two pictures on this thread, the one of the wheat hanging from the rafters posted on Aug 3 @ 2218, and the big field of flowers posted on Aug 4 @ 1204! How many pictures are there that I canÂt see???

Skybird

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've posted 47 photographs on this thread, Skybird.

S'

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Note the Boeing "triple 7" taking off in the upper left corner of the picture . . .

S'