• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

No see 'um, Steve.

(But I'll take your word for it -:

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't see the image?

Twitpic is new for me . . . does it just exist in my computer memory?

This work?

Steve

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

That works. You are ahead of me, seed or sets?

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

There they are. Now all you need is lemon juice, some ripe avocados, and you're good for some great guacamole.

• autodidact
    13 years ago

I'm growing them this year. We love them because they're expensive at the store. In fact, we grew some nice ones in the holes in the cinder-blocks, where they fit nicely.

I recommend them to any gourmet gardeners.

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Picador will be from seeds. I planted them a bit late in my continuing effort to protect onion seedlings from the weeds. They may not make very large bulbs this year but it is looking like they will do well enuf to make viable sets for 2011.

The Prisma were from seed a couple of years ago. They are the large bulbs. The small bulbs are the French Grays. Really you can get an idea of the size of the basket by looking at the smallest bulbs and realizing that they are "normal size" shallots. Prisma are shallots on steriods!

Cinder-blocks?!? I think that might be a good idea, Autodidact. Just because of the size of the plants, right?

Steve, Gourmet Gardener

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Mine are first-year 'Ambition' from seed, maybe two weeks away and hopefully we'll be back home to harvest - we have a friend who is a horticulturist for a city nearby who might take some. The tips for this var were to let crowd, altho I won't be doing that next year if the fotos above are any indication...

Dan

• jnfr
    13 years ago

Ooh, so pretty. Can they be planted in the fall like garlic?

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sure think so, Jnfr.

But, in the 20+ years of growing them, I've always brought the entire crop indoors for the winter and then re-planted the shallot bulbs in the early spring.

Of course, this allows me to use an additional cultivation.

S'

• kathy645
    13 years ago

I don't understand why I can't see the pics. I tried leeks for the first time this year--they seem to be doing well. I'll work on shallots next year!
    K

• windwhipped
    13 years ago

I can't see the pictures either - not this one or the one from the other onion thread. Oh dear, I hope you can fix it, digit, I don't want to miss all your pictures!

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm! I was going to get 1 of those Bluetooth adapters that fits into the USB port of the computer. It was $25 locally so I passed it by. I think it is only $8 on Amazon . . .

I'm still sending pictures to Twitpic with the cell phone then downloading them into the computer.

Let's try Tinypic:

Sorry, I'm still learning how to make use of a cell phone camera.

Steve

Morning pickin's:

• windwhipped
    13 years ago

Got 'em now, thanks, digit. Looking good, hmmm, I think I'll go make dinner.