Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
knock out roses

Posted by richsd USDA 2b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 22:21

Will regular knock out roses survive winter in Aurora without any winter protection, or should I expect them to die to the ground? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: knock out roses

Supposedly they are hardy to zone 5, which would be safe for Aurora, Colorado, at least during most winters. A little winter protection might be wise if you're worried, especially if they are grafted and not own-root roses. But they are probably safe for the average Aurora winter. There are plenty of reports of them surviving zone 4 winters in places like Wisconsin and Minnesota.

o

ok, thanks polygonum. I'll try that.

o

• Posted by GLiz Boulder (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 16:28

We have two chain hardware store-type knock out roses that had a very hard winter this year (as did all of our roses and everything else in our garden). We pruned a lot of dead branches, fertilized, fought off an aphid infestation, and now both knock-outs are bigger than last year, with lots of nice blooms.

o

thanks for the info, GLiz! My brother's not much of a gardener, but at least I'll know what to expect when I visit his garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here