Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gooseberry Growers Raise Your Hands

Posted by Mcfrank 5 MT (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 04 at 23:31

I've always loved them, but have only eaten the green ones. Went to go pick up some potting soil and of course had to wander about. Ran across a nice sized "Hinnonmaeki Red" Gooseberry and after tasting a few decided I had to have one. Any of you growing this variety, and if so, what do you think of it? Advice? Do the thorns keep the birds away?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gooseberry Growers Raise Your Hands

Nothing keeps the birds out of the gooseberries. They got my whole crop this year. Next year I will try netting.

I have never grown the variety that you bought, but they sound interesting. I do not know the variety that I have, but they are very good and they do turn red. I brought them from Oregon years ago.

Good luck on your new gooseberries.

o

Damn catipilars are getting mine. I haven't had the time to spray them this year. A small green catipaliar likes them alot.

What do you use?

o

I was gifted a few bushes last year. They have grown spectacularly. From mere sticks last summer to full on fantastic! Sadly, I haven't had any berries. I did have some blooms this year but my guess is that I will have to wait til next year?

o

This year I got ALOT of gooseberries. usually they get ripe just as I leave to go out of town for two weeks and the birds get them. But this year they were late and I got enough for several pies and crisps.

I have no idea what kind mine are, but they get big and purple and are sweet to eat.

o

Thanks for the reports; mine has grown nearly twice the size since I planted it, but alas, no berries this year. It had lots of flowers, which were looking great when we had a late hard freeze. Maybe that's why no fruit, or perhaps its not getting enough sun, or unseen bugs..... I planted it where it gets some sun, but not a half days worth. I read that in hot summer areas, they like some shade. I'm wondering if I should move it in the spring?

Thoughts?

o

My gooseberries are in full sun. Our temps go from -0 in the winter to +115 in the summer. Have never had problems with insects of any kind. I have fruit every year unless the birds beat me to them like they did this year.

My plants are over 20 years old and came from Oregon with no name.

I love the jelly made from them, but not the jam. I do make pies, but have never heard of Gooseberry Crisp.

cnetter...could you send me your recipe?

o

I have several different varieties of gooseberries that I have grown successfully for years in zone 4 at 8500'. My favorite is 'Hinnomaki Gold'. They are delicious eaten fresh off the bush--similar to green grapes. Much larger fruit than many varieties. Gooseberries will handle quite a bit of shade at our high-altitude. Remember, you'll only get fruit from the one, two, and three-year old branches, so prune accordingly! I've had very good luck with the gooseberries I've purchased online from Raintree Nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery

o

• Posted by ncgal z7, NC (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 20:04

I have very fond memories of eating green Gooseberries right off the bush in Denmark. Wondering if I could grow them in North Carolina, I did some research and found Raintree Nursery. However their site says Gooseberries are "prohibited in N.C." Can anyone tell me why this is? Are they considered invasive or something?

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 21:00

I was curious when I saw your post, NC gal, so I checked and apparently its because of something called White Pine Blister Rust. Copied this from a NC document I found:

WHITE PINE BLISTER RUST

MATERIALS REGULATED: All wild and cultivated currant and gooseberry plants (Ribes spp.).

RESTRICTIONS: The sale, growing, or planting of currants and gooseberries in North Carolina is prohibited.

And theres a link below to a Michigan site that tells about the White Pine Blister Act of 1929! Michigan is another state that prohibits themalong with several New England states and a few others.

Guess you wont be growing gooseberrries too soon,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: White Pine Blister Act of 1929!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here