Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insecticide soap

Posted by b2alicia zone5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 23:35

How often should I apply it?

Before, or after, regular watering?

Better after sunset? or in the morning?

Does it matter how much per plant? I have a gallon sprayer.

I've never done this before, so it's all new to me. I'm also a newbie at growing vegetables . But I would hate to lose my squash plants.

I have read everything I could find, but did not see any answers to the above questions.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insecticide soap

Hi B2,

Ive been too busy to post, but I did look at your pics, and after I did I noticed that both my squash and my cukes, which are side by side, have what appears to be the same thing you do. I think I may have had some of that every year, but I was never really paying that much attention, so Im not sure. Mine look much more "affected" than yours do. Took a pic, but dont have any idea when I might have time to download it or post it! Probably long after it would be helpful for you.

Im not telling you to not do anything, but Ive never done anything to try to "cure" it on my plants, and I dont intend to do anything this yeareven if I did have time. As long as the plants seem to be growing ok, I just kind of go with the flow! Chances are your squash leaves are gonna have powdery mildew before too long anywayand thats gonna make them look a lot worse than the little spots you have now. About the only thing I do do with my squash is to cut off the old lower leaves when they start to yellow or when theyre starting to get mildew. Ive cut off most of the leaves at times in the past, and it doesnt seem to affect their ability to produce squash at allas near as I can tell. They seem to have the ability to regrow new leaves at an absolutely miraculous rate!

If youre going to reapply the spray, I dont have any idea how often it would be best, maybe somebody else will have some recommendations. Did the first spray seem to make any difference at all on the new growth? Im just not sure all your effort is going to net you very much, and since theyll be freezing in a couple months, Im guessing theyll be ok "on their own" for the rest of the summer. Now, if I had a problem with perennials, Id be more interested in figuring out what was wrong and finding a way to fix it since they come back the next year.

Its easy to over-worry when you youre just starting to grow somethingveggies or anything else. Youre so excited and watching so closely that you notice things that youll probably "get used to" in a few years, and wont even pay any attention to them. Not saying you shouldnt keep an eye on things to be sure theyre doing ok, and I dont think Ill ever get unexcited about watching things grow, especially in early spring when I get into "a watched pot (plant) never boils (grows)" mode and Im out in the yard 20 times a day to see "if anythings grown any more!" But when you first see what looks like it might be a problem, go inside, meditate for a while, and then go back to look and reevaluate what the problem is, and if maybe its not really as bad as it looked when you first saw it and freaked out. (Yeah, I still freak out about things too!) It might save you a lot of worry.

Just my thoughts on the subject! Now if you decide to not spray anymore, and all your squash plants decide to lay down and die on you, Im gonna feel bad! :-)

I really do think theyll be ok all by themselves.

Gotta go,
Skybird

o

Early morning or late evening, every third-fourth day, thoroughly wet the lvs both sides.

Dan

o

Thanks, Skybird!

Thanks, Dan!

I'll go do it right now! (7:40 am)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here