Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dafygardennut

Tomato Jungle and Watermelon takeover

dafygardennut
15 years ago

Remember this bed?

I planted around 25 tomato plants and 20 peppers seedlings in it. I think Skybird said they would eat this bed alive...

Well the tomatoes only took over half of that bed since I lost a bunch of seedlings. There are cucumbers behind them, but I won't know which kind until the form (they hadn't sprouted either and I even dug down to see if there was any sign of sprouting)

The other half (left side) is taken over by two monster squash. I thought weren't going to sprout since it had been a month since I sowed the seeds so I planted my peppers there instead

Then there's the sugar baby watermelon. I've never grown melons before. Guess what - they spread...a lot...and much more than I thought.

This pic was from about a week ago, now they're out of bounds and I'm trying to keep them from strangling the peppers on one side and the Ichiban eggplants on the other and maneuvering the vines around the stepping stones on the path. There are about 6 melons that are about the size of lemons and a whole bunch of smaller ones.

Comments (13)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

This is only my second year to grow a veggie garden, and there always seems to be some type of takeover going on. Last year, it was pumpkins, so I didn't plant any this year.

I thought it would be the tomatoes this year, but my tomato plants are staked, and I have been pruning them diligently about once a week to keep them somewhat under control, but now the cucumbers have gone crazy, and are running over the carrots and onions, and even growing out into the empty lot next door ... and these are the bush types!

Your plants look nice and healthy though : )

Bonnie

• dafygardennut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bonnie.

I'm reusing and recycling for my supports. I have a neighbor with a curly willow (I think) with a dead spot that keeps dropping branches over the fence. I've been using the longer ones as tomato supports along with branches from an ash tree I had to prune. I left the forks on the ash branch so I can tie two plants to the same support.

Then I have an old cot frame that I covered with chicken wire and tied the cucumber vines onto. It's in the backyard so no one's gonna see it but me :-)

• jnfr
    15 years ago

It's always fun when they get so happy, isn't it?

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

You guys can still see the dirt? I'm pretty sure mine is still there, but I haven't seen it for at least a couple weeks now......

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, there is a small spot of dirt, just behind the carrots, but there are supposed to be bush bean seedlings there. Between the grasshoppers eating them as they sprout, and what I think is a skunk digging around for grubs or something, less than half of them came up. Don't worry, the cucumbers are headed that way, LOL!

{{gwi:23874}}

Dafy, my veggie garden is in the front yard, so I am trying my best to make it look neat, so DH or the neighbors don't start complaining.

Bonnie

• dafygardennut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My neighbors like hot peppers so I'm keeping an eye on them :-) They don't complain if I share the harvest. It works out because they give me advice and help when I have plumbing or electrical issues or need my car fixed.

You can only see dirt because I had to leave space to get to the tomatoes in the back.

• digit
    15 years ago

My sugar babies look just about the same so I'm hoping that in a week - they'll be out of bounds, too! There's a few small fruits forming. Don't you love growth?? "Happy plants," a good way to put it, Jnfr.

The cukes are about the only things that are really growing like that. It was a difficult, cool Spring for melons but, I swear, there should be a Fastbreak canteloupe ready soon!! And, maybe even an Asian melon . . .

digitS'

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Here's a photo of my garden July 7.
    (hopefully the link works, this photo thing is whoopin' me today...)

Here is a link that might be useful: photo July 7

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

And another Aug 8th...

Here is a link that might be useful: Aug 8 photo 1

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

One more photo Aug 8th.
    I was gone for a few weeks, but boy did it grow while I was gone. My husband took care of it pretty well, other than he overwatered my potatoes, and they're pretty well dead now. This is my first garden in CO, and my first raised bed as well, but I think it's done pretty well. Next time, I'm definintely going to rearrange the plantings a bit (I was thinking I could just swap beds for crop rotation, but there were a few flaws in my planning) plus, I'm planning a little expansion for next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last photo

• jnfr
    15 years ago

Oh that looks great. I love raised beds myself, though if I'm not careful they will overheat and dry out (full southern exposure here, with a lot of dry winds).

No dry anything today though. I'm really wondering how long this cool weather will last. My tomatoes are shivering today.

• digit
    15 years ago

Greenbean, "What a difference a month makes" is exactly the thought that crossed my mind before I saw your caption.

Beyond just the passage of time - you've been taking care of the garden.

d'S'

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks!
    I was off a little on my dates though, I realized I mis-labeled my August photo in my files, it was actually the 13th... but still pretty close. The beds are filled sort of lasagna style, with composted horse manure the majority filling. They have dropped about 6" so far, so it's almost time to start gathering things again... but they haven't dried out too badly this summer, although I was in Vermont when it was really hot here, so I don't know how often hubby watered them... Not hot today for sure, or dry either...