Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nothing at all to do with gardening!

Posted by b2alicia zone5bCO (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 1:06

Well, just the back porch!

I've been shopping for 6 months for some kind of swing, or glider, to put on my back porch. The new ones at Lowe's and Christie's Sports are so expensive, and very flimsy-looking.

So I finally found what I was looking for on Craigslist... a really sturdy, solid steel, glider built in 1960. Of course, it was all rusted , and didn't swing just right, but I got it anyway. The owner helped me take it all apart so it would fit in the back of my car.

And here it is, in pieces, on my back porch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So I ordered some cushions on sale from Kmart.com, and sanded, and stripped, and painted the pieces of the old glider.

And here it is. :)
I love it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The cushions arrived before I finished painting, and I couldn't wait to set it up. ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nothing at all to do with gardening!

Great find, Alicia!

A good job on refurbishing. And, an appealing choice for cushions.

You did good! Now, enjoy.

Steve

o

yup, they just don't make 'em like they used to! Nice work!!

o

Thanks, Steve!

Thanks, tommysmommy!
Very very true.

o

Fantastic job, b2alicia!! I love those old gliders! That looks very similar to the one my grandparents had. I used to love to swing in it on their porch - theirs had sort of a hoop shape covering over the arm piece, and when it glided back and forth, it would make this sort of 'shoop, shoop' sound. Somehow that just added to the comfort whiling away the lazy summers on that swing!!

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours!!

Marj

o

That sounds great, Marj!

I'm trying to picture what the hoop shape looked like...and I like the idea of that 'shoop' sound.

o

Couldn't resist doing a google search for it! There's looked like this, as I recall:

So as it moved back and forth, the mechanism underneath the arms rubbed a bit against the arm, to create my "shoop shoop" sound ;^)

o

Wow, Barb! Sure looks similar to how mine looked at first!

I love how these old gliders were constructed... sturdy, strong frame with those four suspended bar thingies, anchored safely somehow to the couch part.

I guess they're not made like that now because all that steel must be very pricey.

What a great memory!

o

Great job. You will have years of use and great recycle.

o

I would guess that they don't make them that way anymore because as generations get older, the younger ones seem to be lacking in the common sense department and, therefore, the government has told the manufacture that the mechanism can pinch, mash and break little fingers, therefore they are no longer safe. Kinda like the family heirloom cribs, strollers, beds etc that we are no longer allowed to use because of government regulations.

B

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here