Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Fall Swap --- Part Two

Fall Swap Part Two

The first swap thread is over a hundred posts and getting pretty unwieldy, so IÂm starting a Part Two here to make it easier to follow as we get closer to the swap.

Swap will start at 12:30 on Saturday, September 8th at my home near 120th and Colorado Blvd. in Thornton (easy access from I25). I'll be sending the exact address, and directions to my house when we get closer to the swap so I can, hopefully, have everyone on the list and only have to send it out one time.

We'll start with the pot luck; then have the 4 demonstrations/talks on propagating from cuttings, daylilies, compost, and how to make a good container potting mix; and then do the actual swapping. Before we actually start picking plants, I plan to have everybody who brought plants briefly tell what they brought so it's easier to pick out what you wantÂlike we did at the Spring Swap. I thought that really helped!

I'd also like to ask everyone to be sure their plants are labeled one way or another. Either stick a tag in the pot, or staple a piece of paper with the name onto the pot, or just write the name of the plant on the pot with a china marker or crayon. It's too easy for people to get home and not remember what they have---especially for newbies, and even, sometimes, for us old timers! I'll have china markers available for anyone who hasn't marked their plants before they get here.

In addition to swapping plants, IÂm going to have an area for any and all garden-related, non-plant things anyone wants to get rid of, so if you have something, bring it along and we'll see if we can find a new home for it. It will be a great way to recycle some things you may not want anymore, that may be absolutely perfect for someone else. So any pots, flats/trays, tools/implements, sprinklers, garden art/decoration---anything at all---bring it along. IÂve also had a suggestion that we include BOOKS in the non-plant swap, so check to see if you have any books youÂd like to swap too. IÂm hoping to have a small separate table for books.

I do plan to have paper and pencils available for anyone who wants to make any notes either about the plants or during the demos.

For the pot luck, you can bring absolutely anything! Hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweetsÂanything you think others would enjoy! The oven and a microwave will be available for anyone who wants to heat their food after you get here, and I'm planning to have plenty of ice if we need some to keep something cold.

REMEMBER, nobody needs to have either any plants or any food to be welcome at the swap! There will be plenty of plants and food for everyone, and a lot of the reason for getting together is to swap gardening talk and friendshipÂso come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring!

As of right now, I have 43 people listed who plan to/hope to come. This thing has gone WAY beyond my wildest dreams when I first posted! IÂve been communicating directly with a lot of fun people, and I know weÂre all going to have a great time.

Now, hereÂs the final list of the things I plan to have available at the swap!

15 Sedum ÂBlue CarpetÂ

4 Sedum kamtschaticum ÂVariegatumÂ

19 Sedum ÂAngelinaÂ

18 Sedum pachyclados

12 Sedum ÂTricolorÂ

15 Sedum ÂBlue Spruce (top, leftÂbest picture I have!)

20 Sedum hybridum  donÂt have a picture!

3-10 each of 6 different varieties of hen & chicks (2 left & bottom right shown in winter color!)

20 Delosperma ÂKelaidis Mesa Verde Iceplant

10 Geranium x cantabrigiense ÂBiokovoÂ

8 Geranium dalmaticum ÂCompact RoseÂ

4 Coreopsis auriculata ÂNanaÂ

4 Aquilegia chrysantha ÂDenver GoldÂ

6 Salvia officinalis, golden sage (IF they root)

12 Teucrium aroanium (IF they root)

13 Shasta daisy ÂBeckyÂ

10 Ajuga reptans ÂArboretum Giant  no good picture

2 Ajuga reptans ÂRoyalty  no good picture

5 Anemone sylvestris - spring blooming  no good picture

and 1 plain green hosta!

IÂll have seed too, but I donÂt have time to post them tonite!

See you all in a few weeks,

Skybird

Comments (42)

• aliceg8
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Skybird - from the previous post and your search for a vine for your privacy fence - I have a few ideas. These are from a little class I went to just on vines. These were some of the ones I took note of:

Akebia - vigorous, fast growing, sun or shade, 15 -20'

Ampelopsis - (Porcelain berry) - has pretty purple, turquose, green berries. 6-7', but can go to 10'. Sun or shade

Annual vine:

Lab-lab vine (Dolichos lablab) or Hyacinth bean vine. Light purple flowers, pea like. Followed by cool pods. Full sun. 8-10'

• stevation
    16 years ago

Alice,

I googled that lablab vine and I think it's a plant I was wondering about after visiting the Denver Botanic Gardens. I believe it was this vine growing on a trellis in the kitchen garden section. I thought it might be perennial sweet pea, since I hadn't seen the sweet pea before, but it wasn't. It's a very attractive vine! Does it grow quickly as an annual vine? Can it compete well with tree roots?

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Here's what I might be bringing.

I'll have a single hen 'n' chicks plant. I accidentally pulled it up pulling up weeds. I have no idea how to plant it, so it's just sitting there naked. But it's still alive and growing, so it's hardy.

The perennial sweet pea seeds, deep pink. Very hardy, feisty plant. Likes a lot of sun but otherwise puts up with being ignored.

Packets of old seeds if anyone wants to take a chance on them. (Almost embarrassed to offer these.)

A couple books. They're duplicates. I hate it when I do this. They weren't in my database, so I thought I didn't have them. Now I have two copies.

Three or four samples, small bulbs of home-grown garlic. You can either take them home and eat them, or plant them in your own garden this fall. I'll label what variety they are.

Still not sure what I'll bring for the potluck. Open to suggestions.

• ginnytrcka
    16 years ago

Whew! Just got done reading all of your posts--part 1 and 2! Thought I would check in if there was any news on a fall swap and boy is there ever! Very exciting. I'll have to get used to fall coming much earlier here than in CA! Like the gardener new from Seattle, I am coming to learn and be inspired about the things that can grow here. I would love any and all sedums as I left behind quite a collection. I am also interested in some of what is probably extremely common to many of you...so if you think you don't have anything to bring, you probably do. I now have six acres to play in mixed pine/meadow. So definitely looking for things that may be deer resistant. The garden is a complete blank slate!

Things I've seen mentioned I'd be interested in are:

any sedums
    pink lamium
    lamb's ears
    Huechera
    Artemesia king/queen
    Sweet Woodruff
    evergreen candytuft
    Penstemons
    Russian Sage
    Thalictrum aquilegifolium
    anemone
    pink lupine (or any lupine)
    agastache rupestris hyssop
    rose mallow
    Marilyn monroe or rainforest sunrise hosta
    salvia lyrata purple knockout
    Turkish speedwell
    phlox
    shasta daisy
    #1 pots

Would love some nanking cherries!!! want to attract birds

Totally don't expect to take all of these home, just happy to get a few! And learn what grows, especially perennials or re-seeds without invading.

I thought these were interesting, but wondering if they are invasive in your gardens:

Artemisia limelight
    Bear's breeches

Things I can bring:

Bruschetta--basil grows like crazy here in the Springs! More tomatoes should also be ripe.

pink flowering creeping thyme
    mint
    not sure what these are--sorry for the poor quality images:
    lacy pink-white flowers with fernlike greenery will re-pot without the weeds and grass :)

and

silver-gray ground cover had white flowers earlier this summer

Also, some CA poppy seeds from here in COS and some large pinkish-red poppies from CA. The large poppies are old seeds (about 2 years), but I threw some out this spring and they came up.

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Oh, I'd love to have some of the creeping thyme! Also, I'll be bringing some large oriental poppy seeds from this year, orange blooms if you are intersted.
    I think the first picture is of yarrow.
    I'm a west-coast transplant, too...welcome!
    Jennifer

• ginnytrcka
    16 years ago

Yes, thanks, it is pink yarrow. Here's what it really looks like.

Anyone want some? I will pot up a couple unless I get requests for more.

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Steveation, sorry for the late reply. I'm sorry I can't answer you questions on the lab lab vine. I haven't grown it myself, just found out about it in a seminar on vines. Is there a forum on just vines, where maybe you could query?

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

The second pic looks like snow in summer

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of Snow-In-Summer, it's a little faded and worn looking right now, but has little white flowers all over in June.

{{gwi:1217679}}

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Yay, I get to add one thing I am bringing to the swap!! I just collected one (yes, that sure is a lot) seed pod for my tiny and unknown iris!! If I were to make a guess, I'd go for Siberian Iris, but who knows. It is petite in flower, foliage and overall size and blooms a light lavender.
    Anyone interested can let me know, or whoever sees it first on the table is welcome to it.
    J.

• catladysgarden
    16 years ago

I've potted up a few things (other than tons of daylilies) that I plan to bring.

Buddleia davidii cultivars- I have no idea what color because I grow every color in existence and these are volunteer seedlings.

Hollyhocks

Verbena bonariensis

Datura (white and lavender)

Crocosmia ('Lucifer' and masonorum )
    a few Iris rhizomes

a few Daffodil bulbs

Does anyone have any figures on how many will be in attendance?

Karen

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I'd be interested in the Buddleia, and possibly the bulbs. I'm just not having good luck with the lilacs. Of the eight I've planted so far, only five have made it, and one of those isn't exactly robust.

• ksplanter
    16 years ago

Hi All!
    Thought I'd add another item if anyone is interested..tall garden phlox in lavendar and white, not sure of it's 'official' name, but I have tons of it.
    Amy, have you gotten any of my emails about my dl's?
    Not too long now, I've got to get to bleaching my gourds!
    See ya all soon!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen,

Just got back from 4 exhausting days of flying and have to get up again tomorrow at 0400, so just have a minute, but wanted to let you know I have 47 people on the mailing lists and I'm kinda thinking we'll probably have at least 30 here. No way to know for sure until the 8th.

Everyone --- I'll be sending my address and directions to my house in a couple days. And will be back to post more then too.

See you all in just over a week,
    Skybird

• bluefortune
    16 years ago

Ginnytrcka: I have you down for Salvia lyrata, Turkish Speedwell and tall garden phlox (at least, I hope that's the type of phlox you wanted--mine is lavender-pink).

I don't know which kind of Lamb's Ears you want -- mine are non-blooming - is that what you want? I think someone else might have the blooming type. I hadn't mentioned it before, but I have some very small Russian Sage. At least one other person wanted some, but I don't know who it was.

Is someone else bringing Sweet Woodruff? If not, I could bring you some of that too.

I potted up some strawberry plants today. They are Ft. Laramie, I think. Is anyone interested in them?

Nedra

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

I will be bringing a couple of Sweet Woodruffs. They are volunteers coming through the fence from the neighbors yard. I keep harvesting them and vinca and transplanting to other places in my yard!

• lindy_loo
    16 years ago

I know I said I wouldn't take anything, but I am interested in the Ft. Laramie strawberries. I always have more room for those.

• amester
    16 years ago

KSPlanter - no emails from you yet! Are you using amester44@yahoo.com? Did you get the email I sent to you?
    Oh, Skybird, you shouldn't have posted the yellow columbine...yummy!
    I did want to see if anyone was interested in scalloped concrete edging pieces. They're curved, it takes 3 or 4 to make a circle depending on size (for trees, etc.). We have over 20 pieces, just don't want to haul them up if no one wants them.
    Still bringing agastache rupestris, nepeta faasennii (Walker's low), Red Rocks penstemon, centranthus ruber, and oenothera macrocarpa. Maybe a few other suprises depending on what all's growing... :)

• jclepine
    16 years ago

Hmm, you know, I really like that yellow columbine, too! It would look great with me yellow/gold/orange/light yellow bed of flowers! If you have any left, Skybird, I'd love to have a bit.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Is anyone interested in the garlic I planned to bring? The bulbs are small, but they'd be good for either planting or eating. I thought to bring four or five small bulbs of different varieties.

Whatever I bring to the potluck, it'll probably have something to do with either peaches or garlic. But not together!

• ksplanter
    16 years ago

Amy,
    Yes, I'm sending to amester44@yahoo.com, the last one I tried to send I just hit reply from yours so you'd be sure and get it. Are my emails going to your junk folder? :( If you'll try again, I'll reply again and we'll see what happens, k?
    And, ditto, Skybird on the yummy yellow columbine if you have enough for me too!
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Original Author
    16 years ago

Amy, J, and Kelly, I have 3 small A. chrysanthas, so Ill save one for each of you. Too bad you guys werent at the Spring Swap! I had a dozen of them then. But Ill also have seed which comes up very easily from direct sowing, so you can get some of that too.

And for everyone, heres a list of the seed Ill have available:

Hollyhocks, Alcea rosea, mixed colors
    Hollyhocks, Alcea rosea, black (dark, dark, dark red!)
    Hibiscus moscheutos Disco Belle Pink
    Aquilegia chrysantha, yellow columbine
    Lavender, Lavandula angustifolia
    Callirhoe involucrata, prairie wine cup, poppy mallow

Limited supply of the following:

Penstemon strictus, Rocky Mountain penstemon
    Crocosmia Lucifer
    Hardy cyclamen, Cyclamen hederifolium, white (just one or two packsask for it if you want some!)

And I can also make up some packs of this years parsnip seed if anyone wants some!

Im in the process of putting together the last Fall Swap email with my address and directions to my house, so I have to go, but watch for an email either today or tomorrow.

Six days,
    Skybird

• comary
    16 years ago

Hopefully it's not too late to rsvp & come! Please send me a private email as I don't live too far from 120th & CO - I have quite a bit to share (depending on time available to dig & label)

Mary

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    16 years ago

Hi..I'm interested in some Ft. Laramie strawberries. Thanks!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary,

You don't have PM'ing enabled on GW. Send me an email at SkybirdDEN@gmail.com and I'll reply from my "real" email address and send you the email I just sent out to everyone else on the list.

I'll watch for your email,
    Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Less than a week left till the swap! I hope everyone is ready!

You should have all just received this in the mail, but here it is again just in casewithout the address!

Heres all the BASIC INFORMATION!

>>>The swap is at 12:30 on Saturday, September 8th.

>>>We'll start with the pot luck. If you choose to bring a dish, it can be absolutely anything! Hot dishes, cold dishes, appetizers/finger foods, salads, sweetsanything you think others would enjoy! The oven and a microwave will be available for anyone who wants to heat their food after you get here, and I'm planning to have plenty of ice if we need some to keep something cold. Please bring a serving spoon if it will be needed for your dish.

>>>Ill be providing a variety of (instant) iced teas, water, and hot tea unless its really, really hot outalso cups, plates and silverware.

>>>Well then have the 4 demonstrations/talks on propagating from cuttings, daylilies, compost, and how to make a good container potting mix. We may do the compost and potting mix demos simultaneously if people can decide which one theyd prefer to seeotherwise well do them consecutively. I plan to have paper and pencils available for anyone who wants to make any notes either about the plants or during the demos.

>>>Then, after all of that, well do the actual swapping. Before we actually start picking plants, I plan to have everybody who brought plants briefly tell what they brought so everyone knows whats available to help them decide what theyd like to have. Unless others would like to do it differently, I plan to have everyone draw a number for the "first round" of picking plants. That way everyone has a pretty good chance to get the one thing they want the most. Then well open it up to just walking around and picking out what we want. There will be way too many plants (I have nearly 200 myself) to keep going one person at a time!

>>>I'd also like to ask everyone to be sure their plants are labeled one way or another. Either stick a tag in the pot, or staple a piece of paper with the name onto the pot, or just write the name of the plant on the pot with a china marker or crayon. It's too easy for people to get home and not remember what they have---especially for newbies, and even, sometimes, for us old timers! I'll have china markers available for anyone who hasn't marked their plants before they get here. ALSO, if youre earmarking something for someone whos requested it, please be sure to clearly mark on the pot somehow who its for.

>>>Ill have a table available for seeds people are bringing to swap/give away. The seeds will be there to be picked up by whoever sees them first that wants them!

>>>In addition to plants, Ill also have a place to put any and all non-plant gardening items for swapping. There wont be anything official about this stuffjust a matter of, if you see something you can use, grab it!

>>>And Ill also have a table for books, so if you have any you don't want/need anymore, please bring them. They could be just exactly what someone else is looking for. The books will also be a matter of simply taking whatever you find that youd like to have.

>>>>> REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER Nobody needs to have either any plants or any food to be welcome at the swap! There will be plenty of plants and food for everyone, and were getting together as much to swap gardening talk and friendship as to swap plantsso come regardless of how much you do or don't have to bring!

=======================================================

Amester/Amy has over 20 pieces of scalloped, curved concrete edging pieces (the kind that goes around trees) and would be glad to bring them if somebody can use them, but, for obvious reasons isnt going to bring them if shell need to just haul them back home, so if youre interested, please either post on RMG (link below) or email me and Ill let her know.

Ive received a bunch of seeds in the mail from HighAlt for the swap, and Ill be meeting Cnetter at a dangerous place (Timberline!) on Tuesday to get the seed she has for the swap. That, together with the seeds I have, gives us a good start on that part of the swap.

Colorado Springs!

Im showing 5 RMG people from COS that are planning to come up, plus Nrynes from Monument (I think!), and theres Charlene from Castle Rockand there may be more from Olegreymares list from the Springs (but I dont know where they live!), so maybe one of you RMG people would like to start a thread to try to organize some carpoolingor Id be glad to send you each others addresses if that would help. Just let me know.

At this point I have 47 people on the mailing list, so Im thinking well probably have at least 30 people at the swap!

Thats all for now! If you didnt get the email with my address, please let me knowor if you have any questions at all, post here or email me. As of now Im off work for my vacation, so Ill be around to answer posts and emailsand to clean house!

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few days,
    Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

Just to let you all know, the tree rings already have a happy new home to go to!

• amester
    16 years ago

And hurrah for that! Time for the "One-less-pile-in-the-backyard" happy dance!

I am at C-470 and Broadway and would be happy to drive a carpool, I can fit at least two people in my car (three if I take out the carseat). Even if people from Castle Rock or the Springs just want to meet up for a shorter drive that's fine. I can pick people up along the way too if that will help someone out (I can go up Santa Fe, Broadway or University depending on who might need a lift).

Can't wait!

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Guys, I don't know how the Spring Swap went, and if you had any leftover plants. But it seems to me from reading the lists and amounts of plants that we might have a few orphans at the end of the day. So I made a call today to the local Habitat for Humanity branch to see if they had any homeowners who would like some perennials, and I got a rousing "yes".

I don't know what you all think, but maybe we can discuss on Saturday. I can bring some back to Fort Collins, or maybe if there are a large amount of plants other folks would like to donate to their local organizations.

• bloomingamaryllisrmg
    16 years ago

Amester,

I'm at University and c-470 in Highlands Ranch. I would love to carpool. Cyndi

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I've just started a carpooling thread to make it easier for anyone who wants to try to hook up with somebody to ride together. If you're looking for somebody to ride with, check out the carpooling threadl

Skybird

• luckybottom
    16 years ago

Well now it looks like I won't be able to attend. My husband trains and shows cutting horses and we have an event scheduled for Sat. I even bought some essential oil of jasmine to share. Oh well, at least I am enjoying the jasmine!

Have a great swap and please keep me on the contact list, Skybird.

Bonnie

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

As a beginning gardener, I don't have much to share, but this is what I plan to bring.

garlic samples -- various
    pink perennial sweet pea seeds
    garlic cookbook

'Fraid that's all I got, unless someone would like a nice collection of weeds.

Don't suppose anyone's bringing colchicum?

• jclepine
    16 years ago

I did it!! Um, not that big of a deal, really, but I dug up some poppy roots! Man, the soil up here is sooo full of rocks. All rocks, all the time. I finally had to give up on the shovel and resort to the hand rake, but I got 'em :)

So, to add to my already long list, I now have marigold seeds to bring...I picked them myself!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know you got them, J. Just curious---did you dig up some of yours, or did you finally get your neighbor to let you dig some of her red ones? Are some of them near an eighth inch in diameter?

Gotta go! See you tomorrow.

Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Does anybody happen to have a table--cardtable size or smaller--that they could bring along tomorrow? What I was going to use for the books isn't going to work, so I'm looking for something.

If anybody can bring one, either post here or email me at my primary address where I've been sending the mail from, or email me at SkybirdDEN@gmail.com

I'll try to keep an eye on all of them.

Thanks,
    Skybird

Original Author
    16 years ago

I just want to let anybody who reads this in the morning know that Charlene is bringing a table, so I'm all set!

See you all soon,
    Skybird

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Addendum: I'm not bringing the sweet pea seeds. I simply can't find anything to put them in. I just spent four hours trying to figure out how to fold little envelopes for them, and no matter what pattern I tried, the seeds kept falling out. I give up. I'm going to bed.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Put 'em in a zipper baggie, Lilacs. It doesn't need to be complicated. Even if they're not completely dry yet (but with sweet peas, I bet they are), the person who gets them can leave the bag open for a couple weeks.

Gotta go,
    Skybird

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Skybird, if I'd known you had the nice arrangement with the tiny paper bags, I would have brought them that way. Next time I will.

Thank you for hosting the swap. I just wish we'd had time for more of the demos. I came home with three daylilies, 2-3 Buddleias, 2 sedums, some hollyhock seeds, a pot of sage, and the fleabane daisy that I've been looking for.

And someone wanted my garlic cookbook, so that's good.

I picked up some more ripe peaches when I got home, and now I'm itching again.

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hi skybird, Thank you for having the summer swap. It was a blast! I haven't read all the posts on part one yet (but I will). I wanted to make sure that I get on the fall swap list. I will be there! My problem right now is transportation. On June 1st.(my 63rd birthday) my son & I were t-boned by a 25 yr.old uninsured girl who ran a red light & hit us with the flatbed dually truck she was driving. All I remember was the impact and seeing my son hanging up above me as we were fliping over onto the passenger side of our truck. We were told later (by a couple of witness's) that our truck rolled onto the top...spun around a couple of times(like a break dancer)and then rolled back over & ended up laying on the drivers side pointed in the opposite direction! They helped my son out but the fireman put a blanket over me & broke out the windshield. Thats how I got out. Thank GOD & his angles! Of course my son's toyota truck was totaled! It gave it's life to save ours! We both have some medical problems but we'll be ok. Thank GOD again! I'll be better by Sept! Please put me on the fall swap list. I will be bringing some type of food not sure what yet tho. I will post my wish list when I read some more on part one. Thanks

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

Um, Gardenfiend, this is the Swap thread from 2007. Planning has not yet begun for this year.
    Hope you heal fast!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living