Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

Anyone Overwinter Black and Blue Salvia?

lizbest1
10 years ago

Don't know if I'm the last to find this out but you can dig up and store the more tender salvias easily. The one I had from last year was Black and Blue, love it but HATE buying annuals! Found a very old post on one of the forums here suggesting that the plants be dug before the first heavy freeze, most of the soil removed and roots wrapped in damp paper towels. Put the whole thing in a plastic shopping bag and loosely tie the top. Hang it on something on an exterior wall of the garage or somewhere it gets cool but not freezing, check on them once in a while over winter to make sure the paper towels don't dry out completely. Bring them out around Mother's Day, cut off any dead foliage and pot them up (or put them in the ground if you don't think we're going to have more snow, HAH!!!) until it's truly spring weather and then plunk them in the ground.

Worked great for me last winter, plan to wintersow some different types this winter and try it with a greater variety (thinking Sapphire Blue, pretty!). Am also planning to try it with Verbena Bonariensis to try to get a head start on my tall verbena next summer.....Please don't laugh at me if I'm sharing something you all knew for ages!

Comments (3)