Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost tumbler - using a metal garbage can

Posted by maryjack louisiana (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 4:13

has anyone used a metal garbage can with holes punched in it as a tumbler compost bin? I'm thinking about trying it and would like some opinions from successful composters. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost tumbler - using a metal garbage can

Try the compost forum.

o

I made a tumbler out of a metal 55 gallon drum once. It seemed way too small to work well!

My brother's tumbler is about twice that size. He tried to give it to me . . .

Steve

o

I used a contractor's black plastic trash bag. Poked some holes. My intention was to be able to roll it around often. I let it sit for months in actuality. It did make compost, which I used in planting. I had mine in the shade -- the sun might have "cooked" things faster, but I don't have any inconspicuous space int he sun. I live in the moist midwest, I should have added a lot more brown.

I think that this method would work fine, for someone with patience. I am not convinced that the compost tumblers will really make compost in a matter of weeks. My methods seem to take at least a year, but you get the same great stuff in the end.
Susan

o

I have read of people having success using a plastic can instead of a metal can... I think you would have sharp edges inside with metal but not with plastic... You could tie down the lid with bungee cords....

o

I may not have been using my home-made tumbler correctly.

It took drilling holes and putting some long bolts thru the walls so that everything would tumble rather than just slide, slide, slide.

Then, I'm thinking it should have been filled and refilled and refilled. As it was, after 95% or the volume was reduced thru composting, I ended up with about 2 gallons of product, sort of. Meanwhile, the compostables had built up nicely elsewhere. Elsewhere, became the compost bin and I don't know where the 2 gallons went.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here