Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to fertilize?

Posted by robin4444 z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 7:57

Hi, everyone. We're in the Wet Mountain foothills, elevation 6100 feet. I've gotten about half of my perennials fertilized. Is it too late to do the rest and give the ones I've already fertilized a second dose? They all had such a hard time this year with the drought we're having. All are on an irrigation system. Temp is in the 80-90's now. Thanks for any advice you can give. I'll be using a hose-end foliar fertilizer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to fertilize?

Oh, I think that would be fine.

I don't know when you'd expect a first frost but if you can get out about 8 weeks, I'm all for fertilizing. At 4 weeks, you may run into some unnecessary frost damage.

Now, those more experienced with perennials can comment.

Steve

o

Maybe just a note to add - our rocky mt soils are **generally** pretty complete in nutrients, usually lacking iron due to high pH, and nitrogen, which leaches out or gets absorbed by the plants.

Perennials can 'over-react' to excessive fertilization and get huge - as an example, I put down a 4-5" layer of home made compost this spring on my front flowerbeds, and I now have asters and salvia that are twice the size as usual, falling over, more green than flower.

So once they're established, take it easy.

I fertilized my leeks yesterday. They're behind for this time of season.

o

Hmmm. Thank you both. Maybe I'll just hang it up for the season. Everyone's looking good as it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here