Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

what to do with all that zucchini?!

mstywoods
12 years ago

It's that time of year when many of us our blessed with lots of zucchini, and much of which are of mammoth proportions! Still amazes me when I discover one of these behemoths hiding under the leaves how I missed it until it got to this point ;^)

I found this amazing zucchini bread recipe that I wanted to share - it's wonderful! Combining chocolate, almond and cinnamon flavors, and zucchini - what could be better?! Give it a try, I think you'll love it as well:AllRecipes - Chocolate Zucchini Bread. This is definitely going to be a regular favorite recipe for me :)

What are your favorite ways to use your zucchini?

Marj

Comments (9)

• digit
    12 years ago

Marj, I have spent my entire life trying to learn to like summer squash! I really enjoy the ease of growing it, admire its good looks, grow lots - I just don't care much for eating it . . . (outside of zucchini bread ;o).

This year, the May zucchini plants were really delayed by a cool June. Cleverly following my habit of setting out more plants about the 1st of July resulted in their rapid growth! I now have both plantings producing!! (May plants are a bit stunted but still doing their best.)

My zucchini customers all seem to want to slice it, paint it with olive oil, and grill it on the barbie!

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Gifts to teachers - my Mom used to bring back sacks of the stuff when she taught 4th grade. When the UPS truck shows up, have an accomplice put some in the van when he brings the stuff to your door. Invite your friends over for tea, excuse yourself, and if they haven't locked their cars, you can use up quite a bit that way.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

A co-worker said she cuts the top out boat like, then bakes it, scoops the insides out and mixes in plain yogurt, spices, a little bacon or sausage, kind of like a twice baked potato. I'm going to try that. So far I've grilled, battered and fried, stir fried, shredded and frozen for zucchini bread later.

I planted 2 zucchini for the first time this spring, one Black Beauty and one Cozelle, both from seed. On top of what we've consumed I've given probably 50 lbs of squash to co-workers and family. Both plants are loaded with flowers still. I'd heard they were prolific, but had no idea it would be to this extent! They've been one of the bright spots in the garden this year.

Barb

• gjcore
    12 years ago

The chocolate zucchini sounds wonderful. Actually today was the first time I harvested the zucchini. I started them late and in partial sun so they haven't exactly thrived yet. My excess is mostly with eggplants. Probably 20 of them in the refrigerator and dozens more outside. 5 plants are really producing.

• cnetter
    12 years ago

I don't grow zucchini, I grow yellow summer squash instead because it's easier to find the squash before they get too big. They taste pretty much the same and are just about as prolific. And I use it in all my "zucchini" recipes and can't tell the difference.

The most common way I cook it is just by slicing it up, frying it in butter and garlic. The garlic really helps the flavor a lot!

The next common way I cook it is by making zucchini fritters. I shred the squash and mix it with shredded cheddar cheese, garlic and flour. Then I fry little pats of it in olive oil, flipping them over until good and brown on both sides. Very popular with the family.

I experimented with zucchini bread recipes and my favorite one has carrots, walnuts, raisins and brown sugar in it.

I *just* found a zucchini brownie recipe a week ago. WOW! It's moist, chewy and good. Can't tell there's zucchini in it at all, but it takes two cups of shredded zucchini.

I shred a lot of zucchini and freeze it. I use it in the winter to make zucchini bread and cake.

• jclepine
    12 years ago

I like to shred it and make a mock pasta dish with it in place of noodles. Tomatoes, roasted garlic, dash of lemon, fava beans and whatever else sounds good at the time.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, it sounds wonderful!

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

So far this summer, I've made bread, muffins, baked zucchini fries, shredded it and froze it for breads/muffins, shredded it in spaghetti sauces, and also to add to a rice pilaf, and diced for a quinoa dish. Oh, and the kids favorite - zucchini candy. Boil in a Kool-Aid/sugar/water syrup, then place in a dehydrator. Can roll in sugar right before they become dry. They turn out like gummy worms. My kids love them!

Last year I also made a zucchini relish, but I'm waiting on more ripe peppers before I do that.

Looks like I need to try that Chocolate Zucchini Bread next. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Bonnie

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Zucchini pancakes, spread with a little butter, served as a veg alongside your main dish. Good stuff!

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I have been seeing a surgeon this year for multiple health stuff, and yesterday was my final visit. I thanked him, told him I'd stop by with a box of garden produce, and promised "No zucchini" which cheered him up.