Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anna Margaret's Heart starting to ripen....

Posted by pondgardener 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 9:17

Here are a few that I picked yesterday from a variety that I have growing this year(Anna Margaret's Heart). I had got the seeds from my aunt a few years before she passed in 2011 and last year it was listed in the SSE yearbook for the first time. She had been growing it for a long time when she lived in Missouri and brought it back to Colorado when she moved to Pueblo in 1996. It has been described as a blunt heart, although at times it resembles an oxheart. First picking had tomatoes at least a pound, with one pushing 26 ounces. I have a couple more green ones which should break the 2# mark. A good tomato for slicing or making salsa as it is a meaty fruit with few seeds. After transplanting in late May, it usually starts to ripen about the second week of August and gets a little out of hand with growth until the frost hits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anna Margaret's Heart starting to ripen....

What a beauty!!

o

Pondgardener,

Those are nice looking tomatoes!

The picture is nicely done, as well.

Steve

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 21:34

Wow! Those are amazing!

o

Gorgeous! You'll have to share your soil/fertilizing regimen. You have the touch.

o

Compost generated from leaves, veggie peelings, coffee and tea grounds, horse manure, water hyacinth and fish waste from a couple of small ponds that I have, all mixed into the grow beds in the Fall. Transplants side dressed with 10-10-10, epsom salts and bone meal and irrigated with twice weekly water changes from the ponds and no frozen rain...piece of cake, right? :^)...and a lot of luck

o

I think it's more skill and effort than luck, pondgardner! The results speak for themselves. Thanks for letting us know how it's done.

Harvest and fall chores will be upon us soon. I've was lax in prepping the beds last fall. You've inspired me to put more effort into it this fall.

Thanks for sharing!

Barb

o

Oh yes very fine, indeed!

Tell me more on Epsom salt. I have added it to my compost tea in the past but was never sure it really had any positive effect?

o

There are supporters on both sides of the argument of using epsom salts. I have really noticed the effect when I put some into a spray bottle and spray my pepper plants when they start to flower. Do a search using a phrase like "epsom salt uses in the garden" or something similar and decide for yourself.

George

o

Here are a few pictures of the latest harvest yesterday from the plants I have of my aunt's tomato. I had 4 or 5 that were over 2# with the largest 2.34#. At the moment I am working on canning a bunch of salsa with these...

George

o

Whoa!

Will you be trying to top that picture with the next one, George??

Think glossy magazine!

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here