Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommysmommy_gw

Novel problem: too many tomatoes

tommysmommy
12 years ago

I've never had a year like this for tomatoes. My brandywines and cherokees are all weighing in at 8-16 oz. A few even bigger. What is everyone doing with their big beautiful tomatoes this year? We're having BLT for lunch again today.

Comments (12)

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

One of my favorite salads is just chopped tomatoes, salt, vinegar, and olive oil - eat with crusty bread.

From that base, you can also add basil, onions, peppers, fresh mozzarella, extra-sharp cheddar, etc.

Whats with bacon - they're asking $5.00 a lb!?!?! Try toasted whole wheat bread, mayo, slice of cheese, and tomato.

• boyz
    12 years ago

Try roasting them in the oven. They are divine! Google roasted tomatoes for a recipe. That is what I have been doing with mine.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

My 'Brandy Boy' are huge, and our canners are bearing very well - although a gusty t-storm did some damage yesterday. Good year overall here, too. We're eating them like David, and in pasta.

Dan

• catnohat
    12 years ago

Here's a great tomato sandwich idea. Keep an open mind... don't knock it till you try it.....ect...
    It's actually an open faced sandwich, but you might as well do two!

spread a good layer of peanut butter on bread (I think creamy is best here)
    Next, a couple slices of your favorite tomato
    sprinkle with seasalt and lots of fresh ground pepper!

It's absolutely delicious! It's true I did make fun of my husband several times about this sandwich before I tried it and saw the light!

Let me know what you think!
    Catrina

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That sounds just crazy enough that I have to try it! I've been making pasta with sauteed garlic in olive oil and fresh tomatoes. Also got a wonderful tomato soup recipe from a friend and it's a hit.

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

There is also 'tomato jam' -

Take a large flatish oven-proof container
    Depending on how ambitious you are, peel (or not) enough tomatoes to fit in it.
    add a 2 lb bag of brown sugar
    put in the oven at 300 all day
    it will cook down until its thick
    about 15 minutes before you take it out, add some cinnamon.

Its better than it sounds.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    12 years ago

I barely have enough ripe tomatoes for eating fresh, but that sounds good, David! What is the peel like when you're eating it if you leave it on? How much do you slice or cut up the tomatoes to start with? About how big is your "large flatish" pan--or approximately what volume or how many pounds of tomatoes do you use? Do you squeeze out any of the seeds at all or just throw the whole mess in the pan? Do you freeze it when it's done--or how do you keep it?

I love simple recipes, and that fits the bill! I have lots of green tomatoes this year, so conceivably I'd get enough to try it---tho I have one "old family recipe" I'd like to try with fresh tomatoes, and have never yet had enough to try that one, so it might get first dibs this year if I do get enough ripe ones all at the same time!

That peanut butter one sounds weird but good to me too, Cat! Doesn't take a lot of tomatoes for that one, so I will defiinitely be trying that!

Life would be sad without tomatoes,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I can it in pint jars, but it could be frozen just as easily.

I use one of those broiler pans that come with ovens 14 x 16 maybe? I don't think it matters all that much - this is one of those 'eyeball it and lick the spoon to adjust' recipes. I quarter the tomatoes, throw everything in, the skins/seeds get so soft it doesn't matter much.

There are dozens of recipes out there - linked is one that gives some better measurements, and sounds about right.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• singcharlene
    12 years ago

Yum! It's been a good year for me for tomatoes as well yay!

My lunch almost every day is two tomatoes or today it was half of a gargantuan tomato. Thickly sliced on a cookie sheet with basil leaves on top of the tomato, slice or two of goat cheese, drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and broiled for a minute of so. Sooo good!!

The Tomato Jam sounds really good and I may have to try that next...

I heart tomatoes,
    Charlene

• digit
    12 years ago

Posted by catnohat: Here's a great tomato sandwich idea. Keep an open mind... don't knock it till you try it.....ect...
    It's actually an open faced sandwich, but you might as well do two!

spread a good layer of peanut butter on bread (I think creamy is best here)
    Next, a couple slices of your favorite tomato
    sprinkle with seasalt and lots of fresh ground pepper!

It's absolutely delicious! . . .

I decided to try this . . . (I did not make it open-faced having forgotten that part.) One of my favorite sandwiches is slices of sweet onions with peanut butter on toasted bread. So, why not?!?

Strangely, the 1st bite - I could taste onion! No, I think it was entirely in my imagination. It is really very good!

I cannot remember having peanuts with tomatoes . . . I'm trying to think . . . but, the flavor is not unlike sunflower seeds with tomatoes. That would be like a favorite salad of fresh tomatoes, avocados, sprinkled with sunflower seeds and croutons. Italian dressing is a good choice.

My sandwich went real well with a beer! (And, I had a cream cheese croissant and coffee for dessert. ;o)

Catrina, Thank You!

Steve

• cyndi_co
    12 years ago

Panzanella (Tuscan bread salad), gazpacho, and insalata caprese--those are my go-to tomato recipes.

I also like sandwiches with tomato, mozzarella, and pesto.

• Andy64
    12 years ago

It has been a great year for tomatoes. I've been making mine into sauce. I should be set for spaghetti, bbq, etc. for the winter, spring.....lol