Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tall semi-shade perennial?

Posted by mstywoods zn 5 - Westminster, (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 9:51

So last fall, I created a new flower bed in an area of the yard where it looked like the entire bed got sun most of the day. I planted varying height perennials that liked sun and didn't require a lot of water. It's doing nicely this year, but I noticed that the tree nearby shaded the back of the bed much more than I thought. I think the tree grew a bit more, as well as I didn't account for the changing sun exposure during the spring and early summer (I had been gauging it during August).

So my sun flowers (the wild variety - I love those, so I grabbed a couple of plants from a field and planted them) I put in the back are rather spindly and are flopping over. Am thinking I should put something else in place of them for next year - something that does better in semi-shade, and won't flop. Any ideas, for zone 5? I want something that gets tall, but not too wide, and of course, flowers.

Thanks!
Marj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tall semi-shade perennial?

Perhaps a cardinal flower?

o

Peony. They do very well in partial shade.

o

How about foxglove? Not technically perennial but sometimes it will fake it.

o

That cardinal flower sounds very nice, smdmt - but afraid it'll take more water than the rest of the plants in that bed. Might not be a good fit due to that.

Peonies - good idea, David! And I was thinking about foxglove as well, steviewonder! I'll look more into those as possibilities.

Thanks,
Marj

o

My daylillies do well in partial shade. Also, my crocosmia does well in partial shade (but does like water).

Giant Hosta! Okay I have a hosta addiction. I admit it.

Bleeding heart although it's only pretty for a couple of months.

o

I have a handful of Beard Tongue Penstemon in partial shade. They were so pretty this year, a bought several move for a different bed.

o

I should have mentioned what I already have in the bed - Penstemon (unknown variety, they were planted in another part of the yard by previous owner. Purple flower), coneflower (magenta), flowering lambs ear, day lilies (asst. colors, only one bloomed this year. Hopefully more will in future!), common sage, iris (purple, I think. Didn't bloom this year), and the wild sunflowers.

The sunflowers, coneflowers, and the Penstemon are to the back of the bed. This is where it gets a bit shady later in the day. The Penstemon and the coneflowers are fine, but the sunflowers as I mentioned are getting a bit floppy. I wanted the plants in this bed to be fairly drought tolerant. The bed does get watered when our sprinklers for the lawn come on three times a week, it doesn't give the plants a soaking to where the soil stays consistently moist. The sun exposure does dry the soil out in that spot, so that's why I need plants that can take those conditions.

I do seem to have acquired a lot of purple flowers, so would love to have some other colors to contrast.

Marj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here