Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash Flowers not Blooming :(

Posted by b2alicia Zone5CO (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 10:00

Happy Sunday everyone.
I've been tending my little squash plants every day, but they still don't seem to be doing that great. Most of the flowers seem to just shrivel up, and not go into full bloom.
Any comments? or recommendations?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos #13 thru 16 show today's flowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash Flowers not Blooming :(

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 2:01

They probably need to grow bigger before setting fruit. How many hours of sun are they getting now?

o

Thanks, gj!

The sun.. that may be part of the problem. It's been two years since I grew squash in this bed, and I think the trees are bigger! I keep trimming the branches back, but even with that, my squashies may only be getting full sun for 7-8 hours per day.

o

You mentioned in the other post that you thought they were "only" getting 7-8 hours of sun a day. Did you revise that estimate? If theyre getting anywhere near that amount of sun, the sun isnt the problem! Mine are on the east side of my house, behind a 6' privacy fence, and between two two-story houses, and they dont get anywhere near 7-8 hours of direct sun a day, but I have squash starting. The first one is about ready to pick, and I dont get a lot, but its way plenty for one person! So how much direct sun are they actually getting now that the trees are bigger? If its more than a couple hours, I doubt that thats the problemor at least that thats "all" of the problem.

If it were me, I wouldnt try to dig them up and transplant them this late in the year. By the time they got going again, I doubt that thered be time for them to produce fruit. At least theyve started producing flowers where they are, and you may not get much, but once they start producing female flowers, you should at least get SOME where they are. With the hot weather weve had this year, Id recommend keeping them well watered, and I think it would be a good idea to also mulch the surface of the soil with a thick layer of grass clippings to keep the soil consistently moist.

And, do you know that the first flowers are "male" flowers, and they always just kind of shrivel up and go awayhey, theyre guys! Whadaya expect! ;-) When you start to get female flowers, youll be able to see a teeny, tiny little squash at the base of the flower. Then, if it gets pollinated, itll develop into a squash. Mine bloom with just male flowers for AT LEAST a couple weeks before they start to get female flowers! Keep an eye out for the teeny, tiny squash! Youll get them!

Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here