Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b2alicia

Squash Flowers not Blooming :(

b2alicia
13 years ago

Happy Sunday everyone.

I've been tending my little squash plants every day, but they still don't seem to be doing that great. Most of the flowers seem to just shrivel up, and not go into full bloom.

Any comments? or recommendations?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos #13 thru 16 show today's flowers

Comments (3)

• gjcore
    13 years ago

They probably need to grow bigger before setting fruit. How many hours of sun are they getting now?

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, gj!

The sun.. that may be part of the problem. It's been two years since I grew squash in this bed, and I think the trees are bigger! I keep trimming the branches back, but even with that, my squashies may only be getting full sun for 7-8 hours per day.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

You mentioned in the other post that you thought they were "only" getting 7-8 hours of sun a day. Did you revise that estimate? If theyÂre getting anywhere near that amount of sun, the sun isnÂt the problem! Mine are on the east side of my house, behind a 6' privacy fence, and between two two-story houses, and they donÂt get anywhere near 7-8 hours of direct sun a day, but I have squash starting. The first one is about ready to pick, and I donÂt get a lot, but itÂs way plenty for one person! So how much direct sun are they actually getting now that the trees are bigger? If itÂs more than a couple hours, I doubt that thatÂs the problemÂor at least that thatÂs "all" of the problem.

If it were me, I wouldnÂt try to dig them up and transplant them this late in the year. By the time they got going again, I doubt that thereÂd be time for them to produce fruit. At least theyÂve started producing flowers where they are, and you may not get much, but once they start producing female flowers, you should at least get SOME where they are. With the hot weather weÂve had this year, IÂd recommend keeping them well watered, and I think it would be a good idea to also mulch the surface of the soil with a thick layer of grass clippings to keep the soil consistently moist.

And, do you know that the first flowers are "male" flowers, and they always just kind of shrivel up and go awayÂhey, theyÂre guys! Whadaya expect! ;-) When you start to get female flowers, youÂll be able to see a teeny, tiny little squash at the base of the flower. Then, if it gets pollinated, itÂll develop into a squash. Mine bloom with just male flowers for AT LEAST a couple weeks before they start to get female flowers! Keep an eye out for the teeny, tiny squash! YouÂll get them!

Skybird