Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningrocks

Rocky Mountain Gardening Magazine or Blog?

GardeningRocks
12 years ago

I subscribe to Sunset Magazine (supposedly the mountain edition). I was just thumbing through my September 2011 issue trying to find something pertinent other than delicious looking recipes. After slogging through many articles about beach landscaping, beach decks, digging for shellfish, etc, I finally turn to page 64 and find it devoted to "What to do in the Rockies" (gardening-wise) in September.

It shows a very generalized climate zone map which is 90% zone 1a to 2a. Granted, there are many more pockets of warmer zones in this four state map than this page shows. According to more detailed maps, I garden in zone 4, but I try to choose plants that will survive in zone 3 to be on the safe side.

Anyway, this same page introduces us to the stunning Juno Iris which is very exciting possible addition to us Rocky Mountain gardeners' vocabulary until one goes to the cited source, mzbulb.com, and finds out that this iris only grows in zones 5-8! The author must have made the same mistake I have made before: A plant with Juno in the name must be hardy, right? Hope springs eternal!

Well, OK...what about the only other plant mentioned on this page: the lovely Azure Sage? I look it up online and can only find mention of it doing well from zone 4 onwards. It will do well for many of us, but it would help if that hardiness specification was pointed out in the article instead of riding a rollercoaster of high hopes and dismal frustration!

This forum is the best source of information about mountain gardening I have found. Is there a magazine or a blog that is devoted to Rocky Mountain gardening (new plants, gardening calendars, tips and successes, etc)?

Comments (9)

• luckybottom
    12 years ago

The National Gardening Assoc. has a Regional Gardening section. Our area is done by a guy in Denver that has good suggestions and zone appropriate ideas.

I have also enjoyed a blog by a gal in Virginia, Tending My Garden. Although the timing in off (what is happening in her yard takes me three weeks to even begin to start seeing), she makes great suggestions based on experience.

This spot is still the best for friendly informative advice to our zone and climate.

• ion_source_guy
    12 years ago

Don't hold your breath waiting for a gardening magazine focused on the Rockies. Magazine publishing is a shrinking industry, and gardening magazines are no exception. My favorite "Garden Ideas" from Better Homes and Gardens, closed up shop last winter, after about 25 years in publication. I can see the hand writing is on the wall for my beloved Newsweek also. I don't think they'll last through the winter. After 35 years of reading Newsweek, I won't know what to do with my Saturday evenings when they finally fold. I guess maybe I'll finally cave in to my DW arm twisting and start a facebook account.

The magazines just can't stay in business because so many people are spending so much more of their leisure time on-line doing facebook etc, and also shifted their primary information gathering mode, on-line. It's only natural that the advertisers have followed the readers on-line. Magazines can't break even on only the shrinking sales of the magazines, without the advertising revenue they're sunk.

So, in the same way that Craig's list has killed off most of our home town newspapers, our gardening forums have killed off many of the gardening magazines.

I'm sad about the magazines fading out, but the up-side is that the diversity and magnitude of detailed and specialized info we can now get on line is hard to beat. (and of course it's pretty hard to beat the price - FREE)

Bruce

• amester
    12 years ago

Here in Colorado we have a newsmagazine called Colorado Gardener (which, somehow, I only just discovered last year). Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.coloradogardener.com/

Check around at good LOCAL nurseries and see if they know of any such magazines or newsletters for the Utah area - it would be surprising if NO ONE was doing anything at all out there.

Amy

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Zone 4 might be what you want.

Dan

• keen101
    12 years ago

Yeah, Zone 4 Magazine is the best one I've found so far. I hadn't heard about Colorado Gardener, But i will check that one out soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://zone4magazine.com/

• mtny
    12 years ago

wow entertaining as this forum is.....I dont consider it a reliably informative source of rocky mtn gardening info ...seems primarily a Denver metro region/ colorado front range resource and social site....

I agree... Zone 4 magazine up in our neck of the woods is giving it a go...nice effort...not colorado centric...thank god
    ....while not specific just to the rockies the following magazines do address western/northern gardening ....Alberta Gardener.....Canadian gardening( good for not just rockies but upper midwest and other colder zones across northern states)...Gardens West...kind of a canadian sunset...somewhat heavy emphasis on SW BC...but interior BC represented as well....

• cyndi_co
    12 years ago

The author must have made the same mistake I have made before: A plant with Juno in the name must be hardy, right?

Not a mistake, really: the author, Marcia Tatroe, lives in the Denver metro area and Juno iris work great for us here. I think it would be quite hard for a writer covering the entire intermountain West to only cover plants that work for every reader.

• gardenbutt
    12 years ago

Guess I am going to pipe in a bit as well.There are plenty of zone 5s in the rockies,I live in one.But have plenty of experience from zone 3 as well since my old home an hours drive was 3/4.
    This being a prime source for growing in the rockies hmmmm,It has great people who have information that is wonderful,, but rocky gardening covers so many issues from state to state and zone to zone that it takes several resources the best starting at where you live...
    Zone 4 is a nice magazine just starting it is pretty and has some great info.That said if your an old hand at living and growing out here it will share some wonderful gardens to go visit..I very much appreciate them they also offer to put in events including ours which they had in their last mag.Thanks guys,,,
    I try to tell people instead of looking on line and reading mags get your butt out into the world and socialize with the growers in your own local.. I know, I know not everyone has the time for that.I make time for anyone who wishes to come down and learn....Personally I do not take the time on this site that I used to simply because I am focused on teaching those in my area who have an interest in gardening in my local. That way they benefit from not just our experience but also those who show up for our classes.Hey and our classes are free.
    I would say this is what many in the Colorado areas are able to reach out more socially here because they do get together on occasions not being as rural and spotted as across many miles like others here..

I feel I can comfortably say that having been one of the originals from spikes days of gardenweb when we had very limited forums.A small handful of us requested this forum which took a few requests as we watched him open up others,,,It has taken years for RMG to grow into what it now is.I guess it is nice to know that some people do look at it for so much info,,I just always thought it was a nice place to connect with others who have our garden challenges..

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

It's nice to know that I am not the only one who cannot find a decent magazine for our area. Of course the area is very diverse. I am zone 5, could be zone 6 if I were just a few miles south... Others are zone 3, yet we are all RMG.

Although they are not area specific, I still like Mother Earth News, Grit and OG. The Colorado Gardener is okay, but everything they seem to focus on is in Denver, I am on the Eastern Plains. It would be better named Denver, Colorado Gardener.

I have discovered that our Extension office published two filers this year for the El Paso County area. You might check and see if the Master Gardener program in your area is doing this too.

Back to magazines, I have not found any good magazines, but there are a few Rocky Mountain books out there that you might check out. I was going to give names, but if you check Amazon, there are quite a few. I own Rocky Mountain Berry Book which covers native plants that are easy to grow and hardy here: native plum, gooseberry, grapes, raspberries and such. I think the other one is the Rocky Mountain Garden Guide which has all kinds of information in it on ornamental gardens, trees and such for this climate.

I will keep looking for a magazine though. It's pretty hard to take my computer to the bathtub.

Billie