Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meteor04

This Mornings Harvest!

meteor04
15 years ago

Out to the garden this morning before heading off to work...

{{gwi:1218415}}

I'm loving that I never know what I'm gonna get on some of the scallop squash plants. That speckled one came from a plant that had produced goldens with a green eye (I've posted pics of them). That monster white came from a plant that had been produceing light green ones.

Shame this may be the last year I can grow scallops for a while. I just keep finding new ways to cook them.

Comments (5)

• digit
    15 years ago

Why won't you be able to continue to grow Summer squash, Meteor?

• meteor04
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My life kinda got thrown into a cuisinart recently, and I'm gonna be moving in the next few months. Might not have garden space for a while.

Jeez, me and Lilac could be the RMG "Hard Luck Club".

So, in the meantime, I'm enjoying the heck out of the seasons harvest.

• digit
    15 years ago

If I moved, I'd lose a couple of herb beds and need to dig up some perennials (especially the lilies) to take with me. I may need to start plants in a utility room and stairwell again. Maybe, I could quickly throw together a little lean-to greenhouse to stand against a garage like I had 20 years ago. The worse case scenario would be that I'd need to buy plant starts (oh, no!! ;o).

Other than that, my 3 gardens are at least 4 miles from my home and I go as far as 28 miles to reach most of the dahlias. If I didn't move far, I could continue the commuting . . . unless I couldn't drive or the property owners threw me off the land, turned off the water, and locked the gates.

Steve's digits

• jclepine
    15 years ago

Oh, I hope things improve for you! I enjoy the posts you share and smile at the produce you post!!

I do believe LindyLoo is able to grow an alarming amount of produce in containers...she might have some good tips.

I grow my tomatoes in five gallon pots! Last year, I put them in old pots left outside for a few years. They cracked. this year, Darren brought home exactly what I wanted--two five gallon pots that the neighbors left out as "free". WooHoo. They are those nice black ones and they seem very durable.

Take care!

Jennifer

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your sorrows, Meteor. Things are very dicey for me here, too. I don't want to move! This is the first time I've had a house, and I DON'T want to move back to a noisy, tiny apartment. For that matter, if the bottom falls out, I won't even have that option. My credit has already fallen 250 points in 2 months, and I won't have any money to rent a place.

But it's been almost a year, and I still can't find a job!

Frankly, thinking about these things makes me sick to my stomach.

I found a foot-long zucchini yesterday. I had been keeping my eye on an 8-Ball. When I went out to harvest it, the leaves were kind of limp because of lack of water, so it was easier to see into the plant. That's when I spotted the foot-long zucchini hiding in back.