Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Welcome back to hail country!

Posted by jaliranchr z5 EC CO (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 11:02

It had been going so well this summer. But on a scale of 1 to 10 (and I've seen plenty of 10s) this was about a 2. The tomatoes are bruised but the skin isn't punctured. For a change, the plants weren't chopped to the crowns. Peppers, like the tomatoes, lost a lot of flowers, but the fruit is fine. Amazingly, the pea to marble sized garbage didn't hurt the ripe/ripening squash. There were even bees visiting the zukes this morning. The annual flowers fared well. I'm counting my blessings this morning considering we got .58" rain and hail in 20 minutes last night. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Welcome back to hail country!

Sorry to hear you got hail, Jali, but really glad to hear it wasn't "too" bad this time! I remember a few years back when you posted pics of "what was left" of your tomatoes--STEMS! So glad to hear that didn't happen again, especially this late when there wouldn't be time at all for them to recover!

Were the tornado warnings out there anywhere near you yesterday? Didn't get anything at all up here on the North End yesterday--could hardly believe it when the severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings started scrolling across the TV screen! Hopin' for some hail-less precip today--or in the next couple days at least! The monsoon has been fairly good to me this year, but I have WAY had it with the humidity! For weeks now the humidity INSIDE my house has been over 50%, unheard of for THAT long, and I am SO tired of feeling cold and clammy all the time! So if it's gonna stay this humid I hope I at least get some more actual precip with it!

Hope you stay safe from the hail for the rest of the summer,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Jali's tomatoes in '09!

o
RE: Welcome back to hail country!

Thanks, Skybird, we were southeast of the tornado warning near Deer Trail which never materialized (musta been scared they'd shoot it as a drone). The hail sounded horrible, as it always does, but the damage wasn't that serious.

Sorry the humidity has crept into your house, but I think we're all thrilled the monsoons seem to have found their groove again, even if they get fierce once in awhile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here