Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximavswife

Manure

maximavswife
14 years ago

If you are need of good horse manure for either your composter or to beef up your beds a friend of mine introduced me to the Friends of Horses Rescue & Adoption location. Location is just north of Arapahoe Rd on Peoria in Centennial, CO. They have so much 8 month old composted manure to get rid of they will soon be forced to pay to have it hauled away. I was able to get 3 large bins for myself this past weekend. They will let you have it for free, and even provide shovels if needed. They can even take a front end loader and fill your pickup for you if you need a lot. I did give a small cash donation.

Friends of Horses

6351 S Peoria St,

Centennial, CO 80111

http://www.getahorse.org/index.html

I am not in any way affiliated. I just hate to think of all of that great manure going to a landfill.

Kath

Comments (7)

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

THANKS for the info -

Deb

• catladysgarden
    14 years ago

I'm wondering if you've had any weed problems with it. That's my only fear with horse manure. I get my manure from Aurora Stables and have never had a problem. We give them $10 for a pickup load and it's well worth it. Free manure is tempting, but not worth it if it's full of weed seeds.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I got some very aged manure last year and didn't have a weed problem but I used some that was fresher and it was pretty weedy (different location from OP's). In the future, I'll be sure to compost the manure before adding it to the beds (both for weeds and pathogens). The weeds were in my raised beds so at least they plucked out easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

I must confess that I didn't really want to tow two youngsters to Centennial (and we are ALWAYS together), so I emailed a few more local horse stables, asking for aged manure. Two replied...

One said he was out until next spring.

The other said YES!! I don't have a truck, so I loaded big garbage bags and think I have enough to add to my veggies. I tried to make it a teachable moment, but I was so pumped to get more compost, FREE, that I'm sure things got lost in translation.

It doesn't smell and the kind lady said it should be weed free.

YEAH!!

• maximavswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was told the manure pile I got mine from was 8 months old. I placed what I got in my compost bin until the fall for the same reasons greenbeen08 gives, weeds and pathogens. I am hoping for no problems next spring. I am also so very tempted to go get more but DH already thinks I am composting crazy enough... :)
    Kath

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

OT a bit:

My DH is also in the "wife is crazy" camp, but he's impressed with the composting results since I started in Dec. Our garbage amounts are down 75% and he can envision great compost in the gardens this fall.

Recently, I informed him we were going to build a worm bin. Of course he tuned me out until I showed up with free worms. Things then became more urgent - it's hot here and he's banned me from keeping them indoors. In his defense, I've actually tried to maintain an indoor worm bin and failed - twice.

So at the lumber yard, he complained of the impending costs and went construction dumpster diving for wood. Two days later, I had the best flow through worm bins EVER!! I can't hardly lift the things, but the worms are so happy and the temps stay perfect for worm composting.

When I told DH of the manure score, I'm sure there was an eye roll, but we were on the phone and I didn't see - nor care. The FREE manure is in bags and now awaiting the deaths of tomato plants. My 4yo now understands that poop eventually loses the icky smell and will complement the other composts we are making from our rotten food and newspaper.

The garden cycle is amazing to me, with all the things I'm learning on GW. Soon it'll be time to mix the compost efforts into the garden, then seed swap and prepare for winter sowing.

No more gardening lulls.

DH can keep thinking I'm crazy but the flowers look incredible and my tomatoes have never been better. People are locking up the brakes and wandering around the fence to admire the results of this craziness. I've even had requests to come inside the fence to get a closer look. The gate's not locked, just helps corral the kids and dog.

• autodidact
    14 years ago

Another great place to get free aged manure is Denver Urban Farms, on Stapleton. Stuff is nice and old, free, and you don't need to make an appointment.

Also yesterday a guy from Davey Trees told me you can get free mulch from their location on Quebec near the Dumb Friend's League, also free.