Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

There! - more than a woodle orange

digit
9 years ago

I've grown these for at least 3 or 4 seasons and liked them, a lot.

Woodle "Orange" was always red. Well, I've got 4 plants and one has orange fruit!

The original seed must have been from a cross-pollinated fruit. Here's how Baker Creek describes it: "75 days. Large, round, smooth fruit are nearly perfect in shape, being a brilliant tangerine color."

Well, this plant has overcome the dominant red gene. Kicked it out! They have been neither large nor round. That's okay. They haven't been with the 75 day group either! No, red or orange, these are right there with the Early Girls. I've got 3 reds and a 1 plant with orange fruit this year.

I've always enjoyed the flavor. I guess, orange or not, I will need to stop calling it "Woodle" but I like that name! (I'm thinking about "Major Woodle." ;o)

Steve

Comments (7)

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Sure, but â¦.. crackers? I was hoping for bacon, lettuce, etc. :-)

• digit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was for size comparison, David!

What went with that was Portuguese kale soup made, not only my Portuguese kale but ..

. my Soldier beans! Crackers welcome.

:o) Steve

• pondgardener
    9 years ago

Steve,

After seeing your photo, I think I have some seeds from a swap somewhere in my collection, and I think I may start a couple next year. And oddly enough, you mention that the normal color is red, I just came in today after picking a couple of Prue from the garden. And instead of being red like the other plants, it is a bi-color and it too must be a cross of some kind, which I probably will never know the other parent

• digit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bi-color heart! Even if it was only looks, it looks like fun!

I don't know much about tomato color and genetics but it seems to me that flavor is associated. I'm sorry I missed some of the fun of growing them when I thought that a tomato is a tomato is a tomato. And, it should be round and red.

Because I like a yellow tomato doesn't mean I dislike a red one. If someone thinks they don't like tomatoes, he or she should try a different color. All pinks won't be the same but you can taste the difference from others.

Some of me never seem to change! Right in the thick of things in the tomato garden.

That's great but something new is fun! However, I suspect one change might lead to another and then another, etc. Saving seed from a number of years might be an easy way to keep the special ones around. I'd be willing to bag some blossoms, too. Although, I don't want to be sewing the things with my clumsy digits! May have to unless I want the frequent surprises of a disorganized garden life.

Steve

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Major Woodle.... as long as you don't mistake the "L" for an "I", though, crass and inappropriate is right up my alley...

Looks great! I tried my first orange tomato this year and overall performance was a disappointment, but the ones I did get off of it sure were tasty. I will definitely be trying more of that color in the future.

I like that bi-color too! Great colors, that red and yellow, how about the taste?

• digit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well then ... a Minor Woodle.

If there is mistaking the L for an i ..

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1218581}}

• pondgardener
    9 years ago

Other than a pleasing aroma when I sliced the tomato for a picture, I still haven't tasted it yet. I broke it up to save the seeds so I will let you know on the next one. Oddly enough, I am not a big fan of tomatoes other than their use in salsa and in cooking, so I may not be a good judge of flavor.

George