Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

Will ground ivy (Glechoma) work for front yard

susanka
14 years ago

Hi, everyone -- I last posted Aug 18, 08, asking what a plant was. It's Glechoma (skybird, I know you think that's a catastrophe, but I think it's beautiful. Go figure.) Anyway, we want a woodland look in our front yard. We took out the lawn, planted a bunch of trees which are not doing all that great (separate issue) and then had to cover the berms with rock because foxes dug up as many as 20 pieces of irrigation in a night. This went on for weeks. The rocks stopped them. I dislike the rocks intensely. The foxes are still here, but not digging any more.

Present question: Yard has very broad paths and sitting places between the rock berms, with paths presently covered in ugly weeds. I would like to pull up some of the Glechoma we have in the back and transplant it to the front yard, letting it cover all of the paths and grow up on the rocks to cover them. My theory is I can rip it out once year where it's expanded too much and that will be fine. BUT -- Our yard faces northeast and is pretty hot with all those rocks. Will Glechoma survive with once-a-week watering by hand or less? I don't want to do all the transplanting, which will be a huge amount with my bad knee, and then have it die because it needs more watering than I'm willing to do. Researching it, it looks like it does better in shade.

Is there another very low groundcover you know of that would do better? Blue grama and buffalograss are too high and not the look we want.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give.

Susanka

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)