Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

lettuce planting

colokid
13 years ago

Just planted a pan of lettuce in my little GH. Its been so hot and I miss having some. Wonder if it will do OK now? I think I will make a little shade roof out of a sheet of plastic and hang it like 6 inches or so over the plants to keep the direct heat off of them.

Man, I hate to see fall come so fast. My tomatoes never did any thing good this year. I think they burned up. I never got mulch around them, and now the hoppers are working on them.

KennyP

Comments (7)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

KennyP,
    Giving it some shade sounds like a fine idea. Fall is a comin'. I had to adjust my alarm clock so's not to get up before the sun rises. I'm not ready to do that yet this year.
    It's been a buggy year. Hopper's have munched everything. The cat's are doing their share of controlling them, there are just scads of 'em!
    Barb

• singcharlene
    13 years ago

I just planted a bunch of cool season lettuce, kale, spinach, chard, broccoli, cauliflower. I've been diligent about watering it everyday and it's all coming up and looks great. I can't wait to have fresh salads and such very soon! I have a frost blanket ready & waiting for action if need be in the September.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

My lettuce and spinach for fall eating are going out next week.

Dan

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I'm thinking of trying a different strategy with my fall lettuce this year. In the past, I planted it in my veggie garden, and covered with a row cover when necessary. The problem is that since I don't have a hoops or other structure to keep the row cover off of the lettuce, once the snow starts falling, the lettuce is crushed by the weight of it. Plus, the staples that hold the row cover down, eventually become frozen in the ground, and difficult to remove. I've got some planters that are a couple feet long that I'm thinking of using for my fall lettuce this year. That way, they can sit in the sun on the porch during the day, and if it gets too cold at night, I can just move them into the garage, or wrap the planter with a piece of row cover. Wouldn't have to worry about the weight of the snow, since they would be on a covered porch.

Bonnie

13 years ago

Hoops are very cheap. 1/2" EMT conduit at home depot is less than 2.00/10ft and that will hold more snow load than your fabric will. You can use 3/4 black poly pipe and secure a furring strip on top to keep from collapsing.; this spring for wind protection I took a piece of nylon parachute cord on either end and tied down for rigidity.

I roll my fabric ends around old bamboo tree stakes and secure with a brick, so the fabric doesn't freeze to the ground. I also made a small Gothic arch house out of cattle panel, under which this winter will go cabbage and spinach.

:o)

Dan

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Dan, it's not the expense that keeps me from fabricating hoops. It's the fact that my vegetable garden is in the front yard, and the bed is curved to match the perennial bed on the other side.

{{gwi:416898}}

After the first frost, the t-posts could come out, since the tomatoes would be done, but the shape of the bed would make creating a hoop set-up a bit complicated. The left side is approx. 5' deep, but the right hand side is around 7' deep. The overall length is 12'.

... and then there is the fact that I'm not mechanically inclined, so first I'd have to sell the engineering-type DH on the project : )

13 years ago

My raised bed is effectively 4' 9" deep and I have four different sets of hoops:

, and

{{gwi:10345}}

{{gwi:1218624}}

Dan