Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conace55

Katydid?

conace55
9 years ago

I found this cute fellow in my backyard this morning.
Is he a friend or foe?

Connie

Comments (6)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    9 years ago

I've seen a few of those recently myself. I think they are leaf-munchers, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are so very interesting!

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

I think this must be what I've been hearing in my trees at night:
    'Katydids get their name from the perceived sound they make. Their repetitive clicks and calls sounded like someone saying, 'Ka-ty-did', so the common name became that phrase. Both genders are capable of producing the sound. Katydids are related to crickets and grasshoppers, with large back legs for jumping. '

Lots of little clicks!! Didn't really sound like 'ka-ty-did', but will have to listen closer now ;) I thought at first it was the bats I see zooming around catching bugs, but then thought better of that. I've also seen a couple of small green bugs when I've brought in some of the vegies, and think now must be Katydids (mine were really small, though, and didn't quite look like the picture - mine seemed to be a more flatter, horizontal shape).

Marj

Here is a link that might be useful: Katydid

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Oh wow! These guys are so cool! Unless they start creating havoc I'd leave them be just because of their neatness factor.

My dad used to tell me about the Katydids when I was a kid. We lived out in the country and we'd sit outside, late at night to listen to their sounds together. He was always explaining different insects, their sounds and identifying trees, etc since he has a BS in Environmental Science. Good times and good memories! Thanks for the reminder :)

• bugdoctor
    9 years ago

You've found the common 'broad winged Katydid'. I've only seen one here and there, never in masses to do any significant harm to a tree. I think they have such interesting camouflage to look like leaves and their noises are neat to hear as others have mentioned.

Neither friend nor foe, just a few leaves lost. No biggie.

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU Katydid Factsheet

• bugdoctor
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention mstywoods-

The clicking you may hear that sounds like two nickels being struck together is likely from the snowy tree cricket. They are also categorized with the longhorned grasshoppers and crickets in the Tettigoniidae family. They are much smaller than the katydids, are somewhat pale in color (more like a pale green), and occur in the later months of the summer from late July to Oct.

About halfway down the attached Factsheet you will see some cool facts on the temperature relation and the number of clicks they produce.

Great stories!

Here is a link that might be useful: USU Crickets Factsheet

• conace55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bugdoctor, thankyou for your response and the interesting fact sheet. I had never seen a katydid so I was excited. And I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed this one had he not been climbing on the chair right in front of me. I saw another one the following day (he happened to jump from one spot to another) and knew it wasn't the same one because it was much smaller than the first. I love the fun things a yard holds!

Connie

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling